Audacity has overtaken the sound on my computer (??)

Hi there,

There’s probably a very simply solution to my problem but I’m not very computer savvy or very knowledgeable about this program.

I’m using 2.1.2 and Windows 10.

After several years without an issue, suddenly the only sound I can get on the speakers plugged directly into my computer is through playing something with audacity. For everything else I have had to use bluetooth connected speakers. Maybe I simply clicked on something that started this “takeover” and a simple click would fix this, but I don’t know where to begin to resolve this issue.

Please advise,
Thanks

To set/change your Windows default system output device, run mmsys.cpl from the magnifying glass in your Windows Taskbar. Click on the Playback tab, then select your output speakers, then click on Set Default.

To set/change your Audacity output device in 2.1.2, select your desired Playback Device in the Audacity’s Device Toolbar. (For 3.2.x and up, first select View>Toolbars>Device Toolbar). To have Audacity use your default speakers, select Primary Sound Driver or Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output.