Trying to record a mix, awful audio quality help pls

Hi,

I am trying to record a mix using pioneer nexus djm 700 with a Beringer uca 222; I have tried the rcas going from the record output and master 2 output on the mixer into the UCA and then a usb into the laptop.

I am using audacity v2.3.2 and have three options for MME, Windows WASAPI and windows direct sound. The microphone (usb audio codec) and speakers either the usb codec or the name of my laptop speakers. I have tried all three of the above (WASAPI etc) and both sets of speakers as the output and the audio quality is bad with any combination of these.

The audio quality sounds generally poor and is particularly noticeable when a segment with a lot of bass comes in, sounds similar to when speakers ‘fart’ when too bassy and the audio quality sounds almost like it’s being recorded underwater…

I have also tried variations of doing it either mono or stereo and project rates of 44100, 48000 and 96000 to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated as trying to record a mix and can’t put this out sounding like this :cry:

record output and master 2 output

From fuzzy memory, Recorder Output should give you a “clean” signal without all the room equalizers, boosters, and dance floor processing. Master outputs carry everything.

What does it sound like at the headphone connection of the UCA222? Switch the UCA to Monitor. Switch Audacity Playthrough off.

Koz

It’s good to start with a clean machine. Close all other applications and do a clean shutdown. Shift+Shutdown > OK > Wait. Start. Do not let any applications automatically start.

Koz

Windows audio enhancements could be the culprit.
They should all* be disabled for a faithful recording,
see … https://youtu.be/eXGyAzk3fd4?t=50
[ Disable recording & playback enhancements ]

You might be [u]clipping[/u] the Behringer interface while recording. The Audacity meters should be showing the true digital recording level but this (probably) won’t correspond to the meters on the Pioneer.

You can check your quickly levels by running the Amplify effect after recording. You should do this immediately after recording, before you do anything that affects the volume. Audacity has pre-scanned your file and Amplify will default to whatever gain (or attenuation) is needed for 0dB peaks. For example, if it defaults to -3dB then you have 3dB of headroom. If it defaults 0dB, your peaks are already at the 0dB maximum, indicating that your file is probably clipped.