Compensating for Dolby encoding on music cassettes

1 am using Audacity 3.2.0 on Windows 10 with the 22h1 update,
What I am trying to do is transfer my cassette music tape collection to digital on my PC. However, I have run into a minor problem. Several of my commercially recorded tapes use Dolby encoding, but the player I have does not have a Dolby decoder. This results in exceedingly high levels of treble in the transferred tape. I have tried using the equalizer settings on my player to lower the treble level, but then the dynamics between the soft passages and the louder passages are not good. Is ther a way to compensate for this in Audacity?

Can you get a Dolby player?

Do you know if the tapes are B or C?

Dolby was the success story at a time when many people were trying to get cassette tape sound to work right—to stop being an amusing toy. I remember sitting through a Dolby demonstration where someone presented a live music performance and then a taped performance and didn’t tell us which was which. For those of us used to regular noisy tapes, it was quite a surprise.

It is dynamic processing and there is no easy way to take the effect out without the Dolby process—that I know of. Others may post.

Koz

A quick search turned-up a [u]software decoder[/u].

But, the levels are supposed to be calibrated. There is no automatic-default calibration between analog & digital levels, I’m pretty sure you don’t have a Dolby calibration tape, and I don’t think the software even comes with calibration instructions.

thanks to all for the responxe to my quiery.

1. I do not have access to a Dolby player.
  2. I do not know if they are B or C. The tapes only state that they are Dolby encoded.
  3. Thanks for the link to the DDI software. I dont know if it will work, since I dont have a calibratiuon tape. How3ver I may give it a try. Otherwiose I’ll just have to live with what I’'ve got.

I DOO appreciaye evryones help so far, Thannks again.