Need help with setup - recording from media on CPU

I haven’t experienced any issues getting this same setup running in the past, but I have a new laptop, so I don’t know. I’m using Windows 11 Pro, Audacity 3.1.3.

I want to record the audio of a video playing in VLC Player, while using headphones to listen to the video, simultaneously. Currently the best result I was able to get was that Audacity did actually record the audio, but the audio didn’t play through my headphones, instead it played through my normal laptop speakers. I already forgot which combination of settings I was using to achieve that, sadly. Most of my experiments end up blasting my ears with feedback, and at this point I’m pretty sure I’ve tried every combination of settings to get things working properly.

The attached screenshot shows my settings & the options available to me. Additionally, if it matters, I have a docking station for plugging in some of my equipment, like my microphone. My headphones are still plugged into the laptop. I believe I have Realtek & Nahmic for audio. I thought there may have been a conflict with some other app, and maybe there is. I had OBS recorder turned on initially when I experienced the problem, but it’s off now, and the problem still exists.

Thanks.

Pic Attached.
Audacity Troubleshooting.png

What’s the “media”? If you have a file on your computer you should be able to open it directly in Audacity as long as you have the [u]FFmpeg Import/Export Library[/u] installed.

If it’s a commercial copy protected DVD or Blu-ray, you’ll have to record it. (Or VLC can “rip” the audio and create a WAV file.)

Currently the best result I was able to get was that Audacity did actually record the audio, but the audio didn’t play through my headphones, instead it played through my normal laptop speakers.

You have to select the loopback device that the sound is coming-out.

Most of my experiments end up blasting my ears with feedback

With loopback you have to turn OFF [u]Software Playthrough[/u] to prevent an internal feedback loop.

Also, make sure [u]Windows "Enhancements[/u] are turned OFF. They can mess-up the sound in various ways.