Cant Update to 3.2.0 due to Exception Code 0x50000005 [SOLVED]

I tried to update Audacity to 3.2.0, and now the program will not open. Getting the same exception code 0x50000005.

I also tried to find the audacity.cfg file. This path is not showing in the computer: Windows: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\audacity. In another thread, getting rid of that file would fix the problem? But cant find it.

Any thoughts of what I can do?

I apologize. It is Exception Code 0xc0000005.

The “AppData” folder is a hidden folder.
See here for how to view hidden files and folders in Windows: View hidden files and folders in Windows - Microsoft Support

That worked. Thank you. I have attached the file.
audacity.cfg (7.94 KB)

Question: It seems I have to delete the audacity.cfg file every time I start up the computer. Is there a way to get around that?

That’s very strange. Can you try the following things?

• Delete the cfg, then start Audacity, then quit audacity, then start it again. Does it work?
  • Delete the cfg, then start Audacity, then make a copy of the cfg (name it eg before.cfg), then restart the computer, then start Audacity again and make another copy of the audacity.cfg (name it after.cfg). Does it still crash? If so, please send us the before and after.cfgs.
  • Delete the cfg, then start Audacity, then go to Preferences → Effects and disable all effect families. Restart the computer, then start Audacity again. Does it still crash?
  • Delete the cfg, then start Audacity, then restart your computer. Then disconnect your usual audio devices in the Windows sound settings, and start Audacity. Does it still crash?

The weird thing is that it’s not crashing for me, even when using your config, so I think it’s something specific to your system (or kinds of system - there are quite a few people in the same situation as you).

First of all, thank you.

Delete the cfg, then start Audacity, then quit audacity, then start it again. Does it work?

Yes, it is working. Whenever the crash happened, I would delete the file, and then the first time it would open, it gave the notice that future notices would be coming whenever there was an update to be announced. Obviously I never saw that notice again until it crashed. Since deleting the cfg file this last time, I cannot get it to crash again. Weird.

Ok. Made my last post. Shut down the computer for a few hours and went to town. Came back and it crashed again.

I will take a look at the steps left for me to try.

Not sure if this is related, but when I agreed to the popup stating that 3.2.0 was available, it seemed to update properly, but attempting to run Audacity results in a crash with the following error message:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_READ

Had to delete the updated 3.2.0 and reinstall version 3.1.3

Running Windows 11 on a new custom built desktop
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics 3.80 GHz
32.0 GB (31.3 GB usable)

How do I reinstall version 3.1.3 since version 3.2 continues to crash?

This path is not showing in the computer: Windows: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\audacity. Even when I followed the instructions you sent and asked the computer to show all hidden files, it couldn’t be found. Where can I find the cfg file so that I can delete it and keep working in Audacity?

I found it on fosshub - Old Audacity versions download

Looks like the latest update solved the problem. Thank you.

In my case the problem (Exception Code 0xc0000005) isn´t solved. I cannot open any aup-files. If I delete audacity.cfg it is immediately there again, when I open audacity. There is no effect. I have the newest version. Has anyone an idea?