[SOLVED] Record volume bar is pinned to max. What did I do?

Sat down to Audacity to resume my project of converting Reel-to-Reel tapes to file and now my Record volume indicator is pinned to the right/max and I have no control. I must have done something to screw up, but cannot figure what, right?
I’ve searched the Forum and can’ seem to find a solution. Input welcome. Thanks in advance.

Are you using a USB interface? Does it have a recording level knob?

Usually you can’t adjust the DIGITAL coming-into Audacity…

If you need to reduce the volume the ANALOG level needs to be lowered BEFORE it hits the ADC ( analog-to-digital converter). If you [u]clip[/u] the ADC it doesn’t help to lower the digital level.

Doug…yes USB interface (Behringer) which only has monitor and playback volume.
As far as ‘adjust’ on the source…yep I get that, however, the volume I’d adjusted and set on my 10" R-to-R deck the other day was perfect…now I must have screwed something up because Audacity has the volume bars pinned to the max (right).

You can check [u]Windows Microphone Boost[/u]. I’m not sure if that’s functional with the USB input but you can check it.

There are also some other [u]Windows “Enhancements”[/u] that apply automatic volume control and some other effects before the audio stream goes to Audacity.

But if you get clipping during recording it’s usually the ADC (inside your Behringer) that’s clipping.

however, the volume I’d adjusted and set on my 10" R-to-R deck the other day was perfect…now I must have screwed something up because Audacity has the volume bars pinned to the max (right).

A different “hotter” tape?

What did you adjust? Does the tape deck actually have a playback volume control? Or any other way to adjust the line-level signal? If you have a headphone output that almost always has a volume control and the levels are compatible with line-level. You just need the right adapter-cable.

If you have no way of adjusting the line-level volume you can get an attenuator. I have one of [u]these[/u].

…The lack of a recording level control is one downside to the little Behringer interfaces. (Behringer makes higher-end interfaces with “knobs”.)

P.S.
If you are familiar with tape you know that it was important to have a “hot” signal to overcome tape noise. But with digital… No tape noise!!! Pros typically record around -12 to -18dB (at 24-bits). We usually recommend shooting for peaks around -3 to -6dB when digitizing analog but nothing bad happens if you get “close” to 0dB and you can safely go a lot lower. If you are recording “live” where the levels are less predictable you usually need more headroom.*

And unlike analog tape you can boost the levels digitally after recording with no generation loss (and without any other quality loss).

Digital also hard-clips at exactly 0dB so the most important thing is to avoid clipping. Analog tape can go over 0dB where it starts to soft-clip. And the NAB recording/playback equalization further “smooths” any clipping.

• Headroom is a funny thing… If you don’t use it you didn’t need it… If you use it, it’s no longer headroom…

Problem solved…yes it was a Win 10 thing and your posts helped he look further for the solution. I’m back on track and moving along further in my learning curve with Audacity. Thanks again.