Upgrade fails [solved]

I went through the finger calisthenics and installed (or so I thought) 3.1.3 twice however, Audacity remains at 3.0.0 version.
What is the magic secret dance I have to perform to indulge in the newest?

So when upgrading it never hurts to remove the old version of a program and also to close all currently running programs.

However in this case it is likely that you actually have 3.0.0 already running and you are trying to start up 3.1.3 in another window. That won’t work - Audacity senses that another version is already running which it wakes up and then exits.

Also, in some cases you may a prior file association, with .WAV files for example with Audacity 3.0.0 and for .aup3 files with Audacity 3.1.3.

Again, always best to remove the old version.

Ok, since no other versions are/were running, it looks as if I have to uninstall then reinstall.

Just checking, I went to uninstall Audacity and the list shows that I have 3.1.3 version installed yet when I go to Help in Audacity it still shows 3.0.0 version. Maybe I have to Format C: /x ?

I certainly hope not!

Start by uninstalling 3.1.3. Then see if there is anything else to uninstall. If not reboot, then check again. Repeat as necessary.

Then download and install a fresh copy of 3.1.3 from here: Audacity ® | Downloads

I believe 3.0.0 was still the 32-bit version…

The 64-bit version is installed in a different location so both may be installed with your shortcut pointing to the wrong one.

The 64-bit version should be in C:\Program Files\Audacity

The 32-bit version should be in C:\Program Files (x86)/Audacity

The 64-bit version is installed in a different location so both may be installed with your shortcut pointing to the wrong one.

Yep that was it. I deleted the shortcut and built a new one = 3.1.3 !
Mischief managed…