I am unable to use the link for FFmpeg

When i try to go to the external download page for FFmpeg all i get is an error message saying the page cannot be reached
Is this a common problem or a more specific problem

Works for me …

If i could i would add additional context but the best i can say is im using opera although when i tested it on other browsers my computer refused to open the website

The link in the manual (https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_ffmpeg_for_windows.html) works for me (and I have my security settings set very high).
Maybe you are using an “http” link rather than an “https” link :confused:

It still doesn’t work
Screenshot 2022-07-29 133048.jpg

I have PM’d you a link to a private copy of the file.

It worked for me

Hi, same problem here … the site lame.buanzo.org refused to connect so unable to access ffmpeg library.

So … where do I get hold of the required avformat.dll to enable ffmpeg with audacity …??

BV. Curiously, I downloaded the library from another site (I think using the alternate instructions) but when pointing Audacity to that library, named avformat-55.dll, it is not picked up by Audacity and window just returns back to the Locate form etc…

Audacity requires that FFmpeg is compiled with appropriate “hooks” so that FFmpeg will integrate properly with Audacity. Most FFmpeg builds don’t have those hooks, so Audacity can’t use them.

Ensure that you use an ordinary browser to download, and not a download manager.

You could try downloading with a different web browser. Both Firefox and Chrome work for me.

If all else fails, Buanzo’s site has a support forum where you can ask: https://support.buanzo.org/

If you simply download and run FFmpeg_v2.2.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows_64bit.exe ****it will automatically install everything you need and you should be good-to-go. (Assuming you are running the 64-bit version of Audacity.)

Audacity requires that FFmpeg is compiled with appropriate “hooks” so that FFmpeg will integrate properly with Audacity. Most FFmpeg builds don’t have those hooks, so Audacity can’t use them.

That makes sense, thanks.

Ensure that you use an ordinary browser to download, and not a download manager.

Tried with Opera, Edge, Firefox and all with the same result (no download manager involved), site reports “Unable to connect”.

Thank you :slight_smile: Downloaded, installed and working - hurrah!!

I have never been able to access lame.buanzo.org from the UK using a normal browser.

After checking whether the site is down (it isn’t), seeing lots of people report the same problem, and lots of other people claiming that there is no issue, the answer finally came to me. lame.buanzo.org isn’t accessible from outside the USA.

So I installed a VPN, selected a US server, and bingo, no problem.

It is crazy that FFmpeg for Audacity is blocked for global users. Either lame.buanzo.org should be made internationally available, or an external mirror should be created.

Thanks to Audacity for your brilliant, indispensable application.

Has always worked for me in the UK and in Switzerland - my browser of choice is Firefox

Peter.

It works fine for me and I’m not in the US.

According to this site Website Availability Test - Check Website Availability | Uptimia it’s also available in Paris, Roubaix, Toronto, Budapest, San Francisco, Nuremberg, Madrid, New Jersey, Strasbourg, Amsterdam, Sofia, Bucharest, Bristol, Milan, Luxemburg, Warsaw, Seattle, Prague, Dallas, Montreal, Seoul, Sao Paolo, Bangalore, Singapore, and Kyiv.

Then I don’t know how to explain it. I can’t access lame.buanzo.org from the UK using Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Opera. But if I connect via a US server using a VPN, I get immediate access with any browser.

Seems I was wrong about it not being available for everyone outside the USA. However I still recommend my solution to anybody who is having problems. I’d also be interested to know where other people who can’t access the site are located.

Maybe there’s an issue with your IP address. Most people use shared / dynamic IP addresses, which is generally not a problem, but if one person using that IP address does “bad stuff” (such as spamming), the address may get a black mark against it, which could trigger security blocks on some websites.

If that’s the problem, it is likely to resolve itself eventually (when your ISP allocates a different IP to your account). In the meantime, another workaround is to use Tor Browser for problematic websites. Because Tor Browser operates through the Tor network, access to the website goes through a different IP address. (Using a VPN also gives you a different IP address).

I also had the same problem. Couldn’t access the download site. For many days. Just wouldn’t link up. I am not in the UK and always using Firefox. I spent some time to discover ffmpeg downloads and eventually downloaded
ffmpeg-master-latest-win64-gpl-shared-zip
After unzip it seems to work but in Audacity it still seems to say I need the file.