Audacity failing to write to file after trying to apply high quality stretching

Error messages with “Audacity failed to write to a file. Perhaps C: is not writable or the disk is full.” keep popping up while I’m trying to apply pitch changes to audio. I have over 150GB of free space on my C: drive. I have tried giving Audacity administrator privileges, and have given full control access on the SessionData folder to Everyone in case it failed to write to it. Nothing has worked.

{
    "timestamp": 1656569669,
    "event_id": "bc1125d3440aa74586549593c1910288",
    "platform": "native",
    "release": "audacity@3.1.3",
    "contexts": {
        "os": {
            "type": "os",
            "name": "Windows",
            "version": "10.0.19043"
        }
    },
    "exception": {
        "values": [
            {
                "type": "File_Error",
                "value": "Audacity failed to write to a file.\nPerhaps <path> is not writable or the disk is full.\nFor tips on freeing up space, click the help button.",
                "mechanism": {
                    "type": "runtime_error",
                    "handled": false,
                    "data": {
                        "sqlite3.rc": "14",
                        "sqlite3.context": "SqliteSampleBlock::Commit::step"
                    }
                }
            }
        ]
    }
}

How long is the audio you selected to be altered ?

Do you have the same issue if you export this same audio to a .WAV file, then import into a new Audacity project ?

(I’m wondering if this issue could be a cousin to this one: Audacity failed to read from a file in C:)

Is the project saved on your C: drive?

Yes, the project is saved on my C: drive. However, I’ve also tried saving to a USB drive and gotten the same results

{
    "timestamp": 1656638449,
    "event_id": "df715385280ef144b921534dc8787e3e",
    "platform": "native",
    "release": "audacity@3.1.3",
    "contexts": {
        "os": {
            "type": "os",
            "name": "Windows",
            "version": "10.0.19043"
        }
    },
    "exception": {
        "values": [
            {
                "type": "File_Error",
                "value": "Audacity failed to write to a file.\nPerhaps <path> is not writable or the disk is full.\nFor tips on freeing up space, click the help button.",
                "mechanism": {
                    "type": "runtime_error",
                    "handled": false,
                    "data": {
                        "sqlite3.rc": "14",
                        "sqlite3.context": "SqliteSampleBlock::Commit::step"
                    }
                }
            }
        ]
    }
}

I’ve tried with 5 minute portions of audio and 500ms portions of audio and everything in between. They all give me the same error. It also happens when exporting as .wav and importing into a new file, then trying to apply pitch/tempo/speed changes. I guess I should also make clear that this only happens when I check the box to use “high quality stretching”

I can save projects and export audio just fine, for some reason.

Which exact version of Audacity are you using?

On Windows 10, Audacity 3.1.3, I just did a pitch effect, -2 semitones, HQ. It ran with no errors. Perhaps you want to post a short .WAV or .MP3 file, along with the HQ parameters that break it.

So after a few weeks I wanted to post an update, all issues are fixed with a fresh reinstall of Windows. I have no idea what happened with the OS to make some of audacity’s effects unusable, but it’s all working fine now.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that all is working OK now. :smiley: