How to make a subconscious message?

halo…I have read and practiced how to make a silent subliminal with the help of a plugin subliminal.ny, But I’m still not satisfied with it, I want to make a subliminal with a masking technique, even though I already know a common way like shrinking affirmation messages. But I want Following the method below with audacity, here is the attachment:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4777529A/en?q=listener&q=modulated&q=signals&q=audio&q=subliminal&before=priority:19891228&scholar

Anyone who wants to help me please… and sorry for my english :slight_smile:

NOTE - Most of us here seem to be skeptics (including me) so although we can help you with technical details of audio processing you won’t find much “enthusiasm” here. :wink:

That method seems to require an algorithm (programming).

Audacity has a programming language called [u]Nyquist[/u] for making plug-ins. If you’ve done some programming before and if you know about digital audio you can probably figure it out. But it doesn’t look like a beginner programming project.

There are easier methods… The simplest thing is to reduce the volume (you can enter a negative value into Audacity’s Amplify effect). About -60dB should do it. (You’d have to use two steps because I think it only goes +/-50dB at a time.) Or, don’t do anything in software and just turn-down the playback volume to the point where you can’t hear it.

Another simple method is masking (drowning-out). You can mix a quiet message with music or white or pink noise. If you open two tracks in Audacity they will mix when you export, so you just have to lower the volume of the subliminal message track. In this case -30 or -40dB should do it.

With both of these methods the message can be exposed. In the first case by boosting the volume, and with masking by subtracting-out the louder-masking sound before re-amplifying.

There seems to be another (popular?) technique people call “silent subliminals”. I think it has something to do with shifting the audio frequencies beyond the human hearing range, or maybe some kind of modulation of ultrasonic frequencies. There has been discussion about that here and you can search the forum to see what you can find (if you’re interested in another method).

Also, note that MP3 and other lossy compression techniques make a smaller file by throwing-away details you can’t hear. So in most cases you’d loose any subliminal information and you should avoid those formats. Although… It may not matter since you’re not supposed to hear it anyway! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, as humans, we only need to believe in and respect what other people choose and use. and my friend, thank you for your detailed and quite helpful answer…

But I’m a bit skeptical about the silent subliminal, I think personally it’s impossible for the brain to understand high frequencies (ultrasonic), maybe for the technique you describe I can still believe it.

Friends, do you know how the silent subliminal works?

I’m a lot more fuzzy and warm about encoding techniques such as Silent Subliminal if they come with standardized decoding and testing techniques. It’s nice that you can produce an ultra-sonic or other subliminal affirmation sound channel, but I want to be able to decode, test, and reproduce the original message.

“You are a wonderful person, now give up smoking.”

Just having a person give up smoking and rave about the experience doesn’t do it.

Common techniques come with some very serious shortcomings. For one thing, the common WAV sound format 44100, runs out of Zot at around 17KHz. A listener can perceive work at a higher pitch than that, but you can’t use it for tricks demanding unconditional accuracy like encrypting or encoding. It’s not that accurate or stable. So much for ultra-sonic carriers. Also, Audacity’s export of WAV format comes with “dither” which is a really quiet noise signal that helps prevent digital sound damage. It’s about the same volume as subliminal messages.

But much more serious is the MP3 format. MP3 gets its small, convenient sound files by re-arranging and intentionally leaving out quiet parts of a file. Pretty deadly for subliminal. MP3 searches for subliminal work in a show and deletes it.

Koz

We need to be sure that we understand what is meant here by “subliminal”.
Fifty years ago, the theory was that if you went to sleep with a cassette player under your pillow, you would wake refreshed and in command of a few more words of a foreign language. Despite improvements in technology, that idea seems to have been dropped. i wonder why.

The human brain never goes to sleep.

in particular we hear everything 24 hours a day; otherwise how could we wake up when the alarm clock rings its bell?
Our brain can dismiss audio signals while we sleep - which is re-assuring when a baby drifts off listening to mum and dad chatting in the background or, i suppose, a six-hour audio track of “relaxing piano music with waterfalls”.

But it seems to me that if you want your no-smoking message to work, then that message has to register in the human brain, whether we are awake or asleep.

And that must mean that the audio signal can be recognized and processed by the human brain.
And that must mean a signal in the 20Hz-40,000Hz range. And that signal must be clear enough to attract the human brain’s attention.

Richard Dawkins “Unweaving the Rainbow” in the chapter “Barcodes on the air” makes clear the brain’s analysis of sound waves while we are sitting in a hall listening to a symphonic orchestra. We can distinguish the violins, trumpets and harp, and we can hear the cellophane of the sweet/candy being unwrapped in the seat behind us.
But note that we cannot hear the unwrapping in a seat twenty rows in front of, or behind us. That signal is not available to our ears, and we do not process it, and so are not aware of it. That sound has no meaning for us.
Cheers, Chris

Very interesting that you mention that Chris. “Learning while you sleep” has been the subject of many scientific studies and there’s fairly good evidence that it does have some (limited*) effectiveness. In contrast, the evidence for the effectiveness of “silent subliminals” (modulation encoded messages) is extremely weak and virtually non-existent once anecdotal evidence has been removed.

\

• Studies have shown that “learning while you sleep” has no measurable effectiveness for learning new facts, but can have a measurable positive effect on memory and some kinds of behaviour such as maze solving.

Unfortunately that patent lacks some critical details:

The decoder/mixer filters the security tones, if present, from the subliminal message and combines the message signals with selected low frequency signals associated with enhanced relaxation and concentration to produce a composite auditory subliminal signal.

but I see no mention of what those “low frequency signals associated with enhanced relaxation and concentration” actually are.

The basics of the invention appear to be quite straightforward and can be reproduced quite easily in Audacity:

1. Generate a low frequency tone into a track
  2. Add a new track
  3. Generate a second low frequency tone into the new track
  4. Select both tracks and "Tracks menu > Mix > Mix and Render
  5. Amplify to a suitable level
  6. Record or import the “message” into a new track (below the “low frequency” track)
  7. Select the “low frequency” track and apply the Auto Duck effect (Auto Duck - Audacity Manual) with “Duck Amount” set to -24 dB. (other parameters such as “fade length” are not stated in the patent application).
  8. Repeat the Auto Duck effect twice.
  9. Select all (Ctrl + A)
  10. Mix and Render
  11. Amplify or Normalize to a suitable level
  12. Export

Note that if the “low frequency signals” are very low frequency, they will provide little masking for the message, but will rather sound like the message + hum.

Note also that to register a patent, there is no requirement for the invention to actually work or be practically useful (hence such wonderful patents as US6490999B1 - Collar apparatus enabling secure handling of a snake by tether - Google Patents and US6711769B1 - Pillow with retractable umbrella - Google Patents)

Sleep learning - Something can “fail to register” simply if you’re not paying attention. If you’re “not listening” to what your wife is saying, you’re in trouble!!! I can’t imagine anything “sinking-in” better if I’m asleep, or it’s “subliminal” with something else drowning it out, etc.

And it’s funny that you can’t intentionally ignore what somebody is saying. Or, maybe you can if you can put yourself in a hypnotic state. Or, maybe it’s just a skill that I haven’t developed since I’m not married! :smiley: :smiley: But seriously, sometimes there is a terrible news story and I don’t want to hear the details… I can’t just instantly-intentionally “zone-out” and not pay attention. I have to turn it off or plug my ears.

Multiple studies have confirmed that “sleep learning” is totally infective for gaining knowledge / learning new facts.

However it does seem reasonable to me that if you fall asleep while thinking positively about a task that you will do tomorrow, you are more likely to wake up in mood that is conclusive to tackling that task. In a way that’s like the flip side of “don’t go to bed on an argument”.

One study that I’m aware of was this one: A brief nap is beneficial for human route-learning: The role of navigation experience and EEG spectral power from Harvard Medical School. In short, suggests that dreaming about maze-like puzzles improves a person’s ability to solve mazes when they wake up.

Hello steve… thanks for your answer! I will try to practice…

Talking about silent subliminal… to be honest I’m not really sure about that either, because I’m skeptical because the brain can understand things at high frequencies, but many producers It’s the subconscious that sells it a lot and a lot of testimonials and I think it’s a placebo.

And yet, there is one billionaire in my country who likes to share knowledge such as psychology and hypnotherapy through subliminal channels and he is a graduate of the university of francisco.
And my skepticism was a bit faded after seeing that fact.

And thank you Steve and all who have answered my question. This is very helpful :100: