Issue Recording from LP

System: Music Hall MMF -7.3 turntable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cartridge, Vincent PHO-701 Phono Preamp (MM Switch position with #2 switch on 235pF), Marantz 2270 Receiver, Windows 11, Audacity 3.1.3
Issue: See pics :cry:
Screenshot 2022-05-23-1.png
Screenshot 2022-05-23-8.png
Screenshot 2022-05-23-7.png
Screenshot 2022-05-23-6.png

I assume the sound out of the stereo is OK? (Before worrying about the computer.)

What’s connected to line-in (usually blue) on your soundcard? It should be “tape-out” or “record-out” from the receiver.

And make sure you’ve also selected line-in as your [u]Audacity Recording Device[/u].

…Or if the preamp has USB, select the USB device as your Audacity recording device.

There was another fellow who recently had clipping difficulties with his Vincent PHO-701. I can’t say you have exactly the same issue, but you might find that thread illuminating: [SOLVED] Issue Digitizing LP in Audacity

Upon taking another look at your waveforms, you seem to have a significant bias (DC?) - note the heavy blue line at the bottom of each waveform. And it looks as though you have an order of magnitude too much amplification in your system somewhere. I am really at a loss to suggest how this could be happening - but I suppose this could happen if someone were to wire the output of the receiver to the input of your phono box. Note that other than monitoring the playback, the receiver does not need to be part of the equation. The turntable plugs directly into the phono preamp, which plugs into the PC. No receiver.

So, change:

Turntable ==> Receiver ==> Phono Preamp ==> PC  [WRONG]

to:

Turntable ==> Phone Preamp  ==> PC              [RIGHT]
                            ==> Receiver

but I suppose this could happen if someone were to wire the output of the receiver to the input of your phono box.

I think you’re onto something there! The Marantz 2270 seems to be a “classic” stereo receiver which means there’s probably a phono input… So it’s possible to have two preamps in a row with WAY-WAY too much gain and double RIAA EQ.

If the receiver has a phono preamp and the Vincent has line-in that would be OK. I see “line in” but the computer might be “confused”. It would have to be a separate input and/or a switch on the USB interface.