Recording a second track

Running Windows 10, Audacity 2.12.1

Want record an electric guitar track to accompany a mp3 a friend sent me but am stymied.

The guitar is plugged into a guitar amplifier. I’m running the sound through a 1/4" headphones out jack; I have a Rode smartLav+ microphone taped to the phones to record the guitar. I have the microphone jack plugged into my Dell Inspiron but I can’t record. I’ve tried the Windows Microphone In and Line In: nothing.

I’ve been able to use this gerryrigged system successfully with my iPhone to make short videos, but here I want to add a track to an existing recording & ship it back to my friend. Do I need some sort of pre-amp or special microphone to make this go? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Does your computer have a combination microphone/headphone jack, or are they separate? That microphone has a TRRS plug so it should work with a combo-jack but you’d need an adapter if you have a separate mic input.

I’ve tried the Windows Microphone In and Line In: nothing.

If it’s a laptop with a built-in microphone you’ll need to select the external microphone input. And it not show-up until a mic is plugged-in properly.

If everything is connected properly, there are some Windows Privacy settings that can disable the microphone.

\

I have a Rode smartLav+ microphone taped to the phones to record the guitar.

OK… But a better option is a USB interface with a direct guitar/instrument input. The [u]Behringer UGC102[/u] is popular and relatively inexpensive.

Pros often record direct or with a microphone in front of a guitar amplifier, but of course you need an amplifier that you “like” and a reasonably good microphone.

Doug -

Thanks for your reply. I’m still stymied:I can’t record anything with the microphone!

See: FAQ:Recording - Troubleshooting - Audacity Manual

Your mic problem seems very likely due to the wiring.
Note how it has a 4 pole 3.5mm jack.
These are designed for smartphones and not computers and laptops that use the 3 pole version.
(Note that some laptops will will be OK with the 4 pole version, but not many).

You will need an adapter cable as DVDdoug wrote.
Note also how the “blurb” only mentions smartphones and not computers.

BTW, I have a similar BeyerDynamic mic and same story, smartphones only unless an adapter is used.

Thanks, Paul - I will try a 3-pole mic.

No need to buy a new mic, just get an adapter cable or converter, much cheaper.
Here is one from a well known online retailer.
Plenty more on the net.

Just search for “3.5mm stereo 3 pole male to 4 pole female adapter”.
adapter.PNG

Thanks, Paul - I will try a 3-pole mic.

That’s ONLY if you have separate mic & headphone connections, and you never said what kind of connections you have.

That is correct.
I’m assuming ffreniere’s laptop is as below.
In his original post, he wrote:

I have the microphone jack plugged into my Dell Inspiron…

Hi Paul2 & DVDdoug -

Hope you’re still out there - my audio adapter converter finally arrived. So I plugged it in and … the lavalier is not recording anything either in Line In or Mic In. However, while I was gone I see you posted about the Dell Inspiron laptop and in fact mine DOES NOT have separate jacks for headphones and microphone; it’s just a SINGLE JACK. When I plug in, I get a dropdown with several options including Line In, Mic In, Headphones, etc.

So how does that alter the solution?

Thanks,
Frank

while I was gone I see you posted about the Dell Inspiron laptop and in fact mine DOES NOT have separate jacks for headphones and microphone; it’s just a SINGLE JACK.

So how does that alter the solution?

It seems that your Dell has the multi input jack.
I would select “mic in” if you are connecting your lav mic directly to your Dell.
However, this still leaves two questions:

1. Does your lav mic expect bias (a small DC voltage) and if so, is it the standard 3-5V supplied by computers ?
  2. What pin outs does your multi input jack on your Dell use, the 3 or 4 pin 3.5mm jack?

It’s best you post pics and any relevant info about your audio converter/adapter here.