Corrupt or Otherwise Broken Audacity Project Recovery

A new 64-bit Windows/Linux command-line utility is available to help repair broken or corrupt 3.x.x .aup3 Audacity projects. These include projects that fail to open with Error codes 11, 13, 101, and/or with the message “Audacity failed to read from a file in X:”. The utility will not run under 32-bit Windows or under MacOS and it will not work with older 2.x.x .aup files and _data directories. Complete or partial recovery is not guaranteed.

Before attempting a project “recovery”, it is best to update to the current version of Audacity. (Would you believe that some broken projects are simply due to bugs in the program?)

The utility is available here: GitHub - audacity/audacity-project-tools
In the right-hand column, look under “Releases” and click on the lastest release (currently 1.01). Then download the appropriate .zip file. I use the win64 package. I have not tested the Linux package. The Windows zip file contains audacity-project-tools.exe and sqlite3.exe nestled neatly inside of a audacity-project-tools-1.0.0-win64 folder. You many need to go to Windows File Explorer > View Tabs > and Check the “File Name Extensions” box to see the .exe file extensions.

Here are the steps I use for Windows:

1. Check there is sufficient storage to recover your project. You will need roughly 4 times the size of your .aup3 for a successful recovery. If you have a 10GB file, you should have at lease 40GB available.
  2. In your Downloads directory, create a new sub-directory “AudRepair”.
  3. Unzip the audacity-project-tools which you downloaded and move the two .exe files into AudRepair.
  4. Copy your defective .aup3 project, then move the copy to this same AudRepair directory, and rename it to “broken.aup3”.
  5. Press [Windows Key]+R, and type “cmd”. A (black) cmd screen will appear.
  6. Navigate to your Downloads directory by typing the line “cd Downloads”.
  7. Navigate to your AudRepair directory by typing “cd AudRepair”.
  8. Type “dir”. The following three files should be listed: audacity-project-tools.exe, broken.aup3, and sqlite3.exe
  9. Type “audacity-project-tools -drop_autosave broken.aup3
  10. The message “Project requires Audacity 3.0.0” will appear. If you see the message, “unable to open database file”, you have simply mistyped the file name or the .aup3 file name extension.
  11. When the command prompt reappears, type “dir” again. If a “broken.recovered.aup3” file appears, try opening this file in Audacity. If this opens properly, we are done.
  12. Otherwise, type “audacity-project-tools -recover_db -recover_project broken.aup3
  13. The messages “Project requires Audacity 3.0.0”, and “Using ‘sqlite3.exe’ for recovery” will appear. Later the message “Executing query #xxxx…” will appear as the rescued file is being recreated. Note: This process can take quite a while depending on your specific machine. There is no status (or % completion) indicator, so you just have to be patient. I plan 15-30 minutes per GB. Hopefully, your machine is faster. Keep an eye on available disk space. Also, due to a glitch in the software, or Windows, or on my machine, I type-ahead one charater, for example “z”. This character will appear on the command line when I am done, and I simply backspace over it. If I do not do this, the process may never complete. Why? I have no idea.
  14. If the messages “Invalid block xxxx: Block not found”, check to see if some audio was silenced - typically near your most recent edits. Usually these message are spurious.
  15. When the process completes, your should be able to open the “broken.recovered.aup3” in Audacity. The message “File not saved properly” will appear the first time you open the recovered project. This is normal and you can ignore this message.

Rarely, you may get the message: “Unsupported project version”. Then, see here: Recover project - Audacity 80.156.6 - #5 by nick_gordon

Also, rarely, you may get the message: “database disk image is malformed” at step 9. If this happens, simply skip ahead to step 12.

Updated 1/10/2023.
Updated 1/30/2023 to highlight commands.
Updated 2/20/2023 to add Unsupported project version note.
Updated 3/32/2023 to add “database disk image is malformed” note.

1 Like

Thanks for making this available - hopefully I won’t need to use it :smiley:

Are there any solid tips for preventing projects from getting messed up in the first place? I’ve had two major project files in the last two months both randomly stop working, they just won’t open, and I have had to use this utility.

1 Like

Not from me. :wink: Some people who have had broken projects reported that they kept their project on a network or cloud drive (not recommended) and when they moved the project back to their internal hard drive the problem went away. Of course any kind of hardware problem could contribute to a broken project. If you continue to have issues, perhaps there are some hardware diagnostics you could run - search on the internet (I have no recent experience with any such tests.) If you are using an external USB device, it may be worthwhile trying a different port or replacing the cable and putting it in location where it will not get bumped accidentally.

I am glad to hear that this utility has been working for you. :smiley:

Thank you so much for this.
I was going mad about this problem and am SO grateful for the fix.
(yes, I registered just for thanking you)

@jademan, is it worth creating a page in the Manual for this mandraulic recovery of damaged projects?

If you think so than I can have a crack at creating that page.

Ideally this corruption should be a non-issue that does not occur - but unless and until the developers can fix the underlying issue than this procees will be needed.

Peter.

While I’m sorry to hear about your problem, I am glad to hear that this solution worked out for you. :smiley:

What do you think? I suppose that I am not the right person to ask. Perhaps this question is better asked of Leo or Dmitry or Peter. :wink:

Did we have a recovery page for 2.4.2 projects?

Did we have a recovery issue with 2.4.2 projects? :wink:

Not in 2.4.2, but we did in earlier 2.x versions - we took ut out as the manual recovery was too hard for mosrt folk and in many cases unrecoverable, we felt that it offered false hop to too many people.

For example this is the bottom of the Automatic Crash Recovery page as it was in 2.1.0

The link on that page led to this detailed page in the Wiki

Personally, if we are to add your Magicke Spelle, I would prefer to keep it all in the Manual (to keep it all the one place) - but we could link out to the Wiki. But this is not really my call these days, but I’m prepared to give it a try.

My choice would be to add a footnote to the current alpha Automatic Crash Recovery page - and create a new page for your corrupted project revovery. The only advantage to placing it in the Wiki is that is publicly availbele immediately, whereas in the Manual it would’t get published until 3.2.0 release - but in the interrim we do have this thread in the Forum to point folk at. Though I’m not sure how many folk read the Wiki, precious few is my guess …

Peter

By far the most common problem with the old “.AUP” format was users accidentally losing / deleting the “_data” folder. As you might expect, there is no chance of recovery if the folder could not be found.

Corrupt .AUP files did happen occasionally, though quite rarely in later 2.x versions.
In later 2.x versions, automatic recovery was about as good as it could get - if automatic recovery failed, then manual recovery would probably not be possible either.

Old “manual recovery” documentation: Recovering crashes manually - Audacity Development Manual

Then I think that answers your question. :smiley:

As I have mentioned elsewhere, these are not my spells. Although I did write some procedures in the past that helped in some small way, they were rendered mostly obsolete by newer releases of Audacity. Fortunately, Dmitry stepped up to the rescue and has assembled a package that is better, faster, more effective, and easier to use than my methods.

I think this should be handed over to whoever is charge of documentation. I’m guessing that is LWinterberg(?), who can be contacted via discord.

Thanks for this tool first of all, even if it didn’t work for me in this case.
The -drop command gave me the reply “database disk image is malformed”.

Maybe because I’m running 32-Bit Audacity (on Win10 Pro build 10.0.19044)? I don’t know anything about the differences of 32/64-Bit, will provide more info on system specs if anyone cares :slight_smile:

Edit: I just realized that on the DL page for version 1.0.1 the packages are still named 1.0.0…?

Is this a typo or is the latest version not available from there? The extracted folder in my downloads also says 1.0.0. Any chance my recovery might work with v 1.0.1 and where do I get it?
project tools dl page.JPG

If you care to zip up your original damaged .aup3 file and upload it to a public file sharing service, then PM me the link, I’ll take a look at it over weekend. (I’ll be out of town tomorrow).

It is unlikely that this would make a difference. I believe Audacity projects are completely interchangeable between different operating systems. For example, I have run Mac projects on my Windows machine.

Thanks for pointing this out. The 1.0.1 version is indeed named “1.0.0” - I have mentioned this discrepancy to the developer. The latest version is dated 1/27/2022 7:27AM.

We can redo the lost interview, but if it might help you to improve the repair tool i can send you the file.

Those were my thoughts exactly. :smiley:

I sent you a PM

When I ran the tools on your project, I received the same message. In fact the tools did not seem to like your project at all. However, when I skipped down to step 12 and continued with the recovery, I got the message, “Database is badly broken. Running recovery…”, and the file was recovered for me and looks just fine! :smiley:

I tried again and also skipped to step 12…i guess it partly worked…it created a recovered file which couldn’t be opened because “This file was created with a newer version of Audacity. You need to upgrade to open it”. And what is Audacity 58.115.6 ?? :smiley: