Corrupt project

Hiya

We are in the process of trying to export a finished project to MP3 and got an error, ‘audacity failed to read from a file in D:’
{
“timestamp”: 1643312020,
“event_id”: “5b293a26f9199c42b9dec7a6862c4622”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.3”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.22000”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “File_Error”,
“value”: “Audacity failed to read from a file in .”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “SqliteSampleBlock::GetBlob::step”
}
}
}
]
}
}

I looked up the error and saw it meant corrupt, what would people recommend it the best course of action?

I’ve read a lot on the online manual so I think I know how to avoid it in future, but i don’t want the current project to be lost!

Thank you in advance!

Jademan may be along. He’s the hand’s-on healer of wayward projects.

But.

‘audacity failed to read from a file in D:’

Where is D:?

Audacity likes working with internal, primary drives. C:\ is good. Stick with C:\ and move stuff around as needed after you close Audacity. Probably the worst thing you can do is have D:\ be a cloud drive and try to do live production on it.

You may get away with D:\ if D:\ was a matching internal drive in your desktop. That’s pretty much it.

Koz

Yeppers. Looks like your project is damaged. If you wish you may zip it up (your .aup3 file, that is), upload to a public file sharing service, and post (or PM me) a link. I’ll take a look at it.

Sometimes, if you are still able to open your project, you can copy (Ctrl+C) selection(s), then paste (Ctrl+V) the contents to a new project (Ctrl+N). Before attempting this, it is always best to make a copy of the project as further damage (including a crash) is likely. The trick is to save the new project before the crash. :wink:

Yea this is one of the things we realised was wrong, we had been saving on an external hard drive but I saw from the FAQ that was a bad idea!

Thank you for confirming though, I really appreciate it :smiley:

That would be really great thank you, I’ll try and get it over to you later today :smiley:

Too, I have find that while WAV/MP3 files can be saved on a (“FAT32”) RAMDisk, projects cannot.
Project files (AUP3) however cannot be saved to FAT32-RAMDisks!

RAMDisk is super-fast and is an ideal place to store experimental wav files when I am testing macros or messing about learning commands.
RAMDisk doesn’t work if I want to experiment with projects.

And yes, if my system crashes i lose everything, but that is part of the joy of a RAMDisk, when I reboot at the start of the day I have no tidying up to do.

Curiosity value only: I wonder why I can save WAV/MP3 files but not Aup3 files.

Thanks
Chris

AUP3 files are SQLite database files. FAT is an ancient format and does not support secure SQLLite transactions.

If you reformat the RAMDisk to exFAT you should be able to save AUP3 projects to it.

Peter.

Thanks Peter.
I use “Dataram_RAMDisk_4_4_0_RC36” which comes, I think, from RAMDisk - Software that Accelerates, Protects, Optimizes - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram
The ReadMe.txt (dated 7/29/2003) says “RAMDISK for Windows 2000 / Windows XP / Windows Server 2003”, so I have been using it a long time.
I suspect that if I re-configure I will find only “FAT” as an option (grin)
Nonetheless, exFAT is good to know.

I save any scrap AUP3 files (and other doodles) to drive B: (as in “desk top Blotter”; I am that old!) which drive is SUBSTituted to “T:\Blotter\20220128” today. Tomorrow at re-boot time, the cleaning lady will come in and a fresh blotter at B: will be assigned to “T:\Blotter\20220129”.
Thanks again
Chris

I’ve been able to get it into dropbox but I don’t have permission to PM you. Is it possible for this to be changed or do i have to upload it publicly (I’d rather not if possible)

Thanks again

I’ve given you access to PMs.

It still says that I am not authorised to send them when i try and compose a message :frowning:

Sorry, I missed something. Should be OK now.

I have PM’d you the link to the recovered file. I hope everything works out for you. :smiley: