Edit Metadata window size issue

I’m having an issue where the edit metadata fills my screen vertically and there is no way to shorten the window. The ok button is hidden all the way under the taskbar. So, I have to turn off the taskbar to achieve Ok.

May I suggest having the edit metadata window made adjustable and adding a right-hand vertical scroll to view the rest of the metadata?

Thanks!

Which version of Audacity?
What is your screen resolution?

Audacity version 3.1.3

The screen resolution is 1920 x 1080

I can’t reproduce the problem, but I’m on Linux. Perhaps another Windows user can identify the problem.

3-1-3 Metadata window OK for me on Windows 8 …
Audacity 3-1-3 (64-bit) Windows 8.gif

I’m running Audacity 3.1.3 on Win 10 with a 1920 x 1080 resolution and it’s working fine. The Metadata Window is resizable if you grab an edge, top, bottom or lower right-hand corner.

You could try clicking in the Metadata Window, then press Alt-SpaceBar which will give you a pop-up menu. Then select Move from the pop-up menu and use the arrow keys to move the window up or down till you have a top or bottom edge to grab and resize. Hopefully that helps.

Mike

I can see the dots on the bottom edges. The issue is I can’t get down to that area before the hidden taskbar reappears/rises and no adjustments can be made. I can move the edit metadata window down but the audacity program doesn’t allow me to raise the window above top screen level to the bottom side dots to adjust the size of the window.
Screenshot 2022-01-25 155106.jpg

You could try clicking in the Metadata Window, then press Alt-SpaceBar which will give you a pop-up menu. Then select Move (or Size) from the pop-up menu and use the arrow keys to move or resize the window up or down till you have a top or bottom edge to grab and resize. Hopefully that helps.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work either. When you use alt-space and the arrow keys. It will move the window up to see the bottom corners. The issue is as soon as the mouse is moved the window resets to the default location, where it was and the resizing can’t me done.
On the size choice it’s useless to use. I can make the edit metadata larger but it won’t go past the default size. Move & size doesn’t work together. The window resets to the default location.

Maybe you can try re-installing Audacity.

Can you resize downwards from a top corner of the Metadata window?

The issue I am having is the taskbar is reappearing before any adjustment can be done. I wish there was a way that I could talk to someone at OpenOffice in the program design department and I can explain what’s going on and see if OpenOffice can fix the window sizes on their end in a future build.

What does OpenOffice have to do with this?

Just wondering if the issue is happening in other programs or just Audacity …

Also, I believe there is a feature in Windows called “snapping” that has to do with windows snapping to certain sizes and positions. I wonder if this feature was turned on accidentally …

The fresh reinstall was done last night and I still am getting the same results

I have the “snapping” feature off in windows.
Audacity is the only program I’m having issues with.
I believe it’s a design issue between Windows 10 and Audacity.
If Audacity development reads these threads. The edit metadata window needs redesigning for Windows 10 and the display resolution

I would try two other things to see if you can narrow down the issue.

First, copy your current project to a separate project file and then open that new project. Open the Metadata window and use the Clear and Remove buttons to see if that will shrink the Metadata window.

Second open a blank project and then open the Metadata window (without any entries in it) to see if the Metadata window gives you the same problems as with the current project.

Thanks to this screenshot I can see the problem.

The Metadata window is resizeable (on all platforms), but has a minimum size set (on open) to allow viewing of the metadata.
In your case, there is such a huge amount of metadata that the minimum size is very large.

I’ll log this as a bug, though I think it is likely that it will be treated with fairly low priority unless someone spots an easy fix.

I still don’t see the relevance of “OpenOffice” in your earlier post.

I’m sorry, How I worded the “OpenOffice”.

I’m very frustrated at this time. (Not over this issue)

Yes. There is a bug.

Thanks for your help in reporting the bug.

Thanks, Steve.
& Thanks to everyone else.

I’ve just been testing on W10 with 3.1.3

You should be able to resize downwards by dragging down from the very top (you will get a double-headed vertical arrow. The smallest it will go to is the standard default set plus one custom entry.

You can then reposition upwards by dragging in the header bar - that should then reveal the resizer hatched triangle at bottom right.

Peter.