Normalisation Issue

Using Audacity 3.1.2 on Windows 11

Hi all. I’m having an issue where the output volume doesn’t seem to match the waveform. I have normalised my file to -3dB, when I analyze the track it says its peak is -3dB, but when I playback or export the file as a wav the file is peaking at around -2dB. I have checked and I’m definitely not playing multiple tracks and the gain is set at 0. Anyone got any other ideas why it might be doing this? Have been using Audacity for years and never had this problem before. Thanks in advance.

when I analyze the track it says its peak is -3dB

How are you analyzing? ACX check? Some other tool? (I do believe it because I trust Normalization 100% but I’m trying to understand what’s going-on.)

but when I playback or export the file as a wav the file is peaking at around -2dB.

And how are you analyzing that?

…Note that MP3 compression is lossy. The wave shape changes making some peaks higher and some lower. That shouldn’t happen with WAV although you do get slight changes if you change the sample rate.

Nothing leaps to mind.

the file is peaking at around -2dB.

You can open the file in Audacity and Effect > Amplify and read the top number. Do Not apply it.

MP3 files are famous for messing with volume, but you’re certain this is a WAV file, right?

What’s the show? Voice recording?

Koz