Voice to MP3

I’m using Audacity 2.3.3 on Win 7. Trying to transfer a voice audio tape to disc, with and Encore tape recorder and a USB cable. My Audio Host is set to MME and Recording Device to USB Audio CODEC. When I play the tape I can hear it through the recorder’s speaker, so that’s ok. When I hit Record, I can see the jagged sound lines that indicate Audacity is doing the recording at the proper sound levels. All seems well, except that I cannot figure out how to activate the Monitoring feature. In addition, when I try Play, the recording does not play through my computer speakers, and when I Export as MP3 and try to play it, I also get nothing. I must be omitting some important step. Anyone know what it is?

[u]SoftWare Playthrough[/u] should be turned-on and make sure to select the correct [u]Playback Device[/u] (it’s also the monitoring device). …Windows may be trying to use the USB device for playback/monitoring.

thank you. Still no luck. SoftWare Playthrough is turned-on. I’m not sure what the correct Playback Device is. These are the choices I’m given:

Microsoft Sound Mapper–Output
Speakers (2 - USB Audio CODEC)
Speakers (3 - High Definition Au)

I’ve tried mixing and matching all of these with my Audio Host:
MME
Windows Direct Sound
Windows WASAPI

Recording Device:
Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input
Microphone (2 - USB Audio CODEC)

Recording Channels:
1 (Mono)
2 (Stereo)

This is all particularly frustrating because I know Audacity works on my computer. I used it to dub some taped music to MP3 files, but that was a couple of years ago and I haven’t used it since. This time it’s just taped audio files and it just won’t work…

You should be able to narrow things a little more by unplugging your USB cable, then doing a Transport > Rescan Audio Devices.