Opening File crashes Audacity 3.0.2

Hello,
I am using Audacity 3.0.2 64 bit with Win10. I had some troubles with the export of mp3 files and decided to install the latest version today.
After I did this I cannot open projects *.aup.
The hints of jademan https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/opening-any-audacity-project-file-crashes-audacity/59868/2 I tried, I can generate the tune, but If I try to save the project, audacity ends (the window vanishes), same behavior as I try to export to mp3 or even try to open a project, saved with an older version as *.aup. Then started a problem report I did send, and I attached it below.
I removed the existing installation, deleted all audacity-related files in my AppDate directory manually, then restarted the computer and installed audacity again, without using any existing settings (There came such a question in the installation process).
I can reproduce this behavior at 2 different computers.

Can anybody help me
Crashlog Audacity.txt (103 KB)

So it was working before and it just stopped working - and on two computers (and I am sure you didn’t change anything). :exclamation:

1. Are you using a non-English version of Windows? There have been reports of Audacity not playing well with some Windows updates on foreign language computers (especially oriental).

2. Is everything local to the machine? Are you using an internet or cloud drive, for example?

Hi,
thanks for answering to my problems.
No, audacity was not working before properly. Before I wanted to export am mp3 with an older Version, but Audacity asked me for a lame encoder dll. I gave the one I had all the time but it got not accepted. Finally I was redirected to the audacity website to get a lame dll but actually there is no lame dll, probably because now the lame decoder is part of audacity.
So I decided to install the actual version and because of the Problems I told about above I installed audacity again on a 2nd computer. Here I got the same problems.

1. Yes I use a non-english Version of W10, I have a german one.
  2. On the first machine i have the file locally, on the 2nd one I have the aup-files on a network device. But I got no chance to access to them, because if I select File → open the system crashes.

:nerd:
==> For starters, don’t even think about using an .aup3 file on a networked drive. If you need to save it to the network, work with a local copy, then copy it back when you are done. Networked drives don’t work the same as local drives and can cause problems with sqlite3.
:nerd:

So you have a German Windows 10 machine.

You have rebooted it.

You have uninstalled Audacity.

You have deleted everything in the C:Users > username > AppData > Roaming > audacity directory.

You have downloaded Audacity 3.0.5 and installed it.

You have run Tools > Reset Configuration.

You have Used Generate > Tone to create a waveform

You can play the audio and hear the tone.

You have used File > Export > Export as WAV, to save the newly created audio to a new .WAV file. This works OK.

Then using File > Export > Export as MP3, the newly create audio does not save; instead this operation crashes the computer.

The same behavior occurs with a 2nd machine.

I am at a loss as to what might be causing the problem. :frowning: Perhaps someone else has some suggestions. :smiley:

So you have a German Windows 10 machine. -->Yes

You have rebooted it. -->Yes

You have uninstalled Audacity. -->Yes, before I rebooted

You have deleted everything in the C:Users > username > AppData > Roaming > audacity directory. -->Yes

You have downloaded Audacity 3.0.5 and installed it. -->Yes

You have run Tools > Reset Configuration. -->Yes

You have Used Generate > Tone to create a waveform -->Yes

You can play the audio and hear the tone. -->Yes

You have used File > Export > Export as WAV, to save the newly created audio to a new .WAV file. This works OK. -->No, it crashes too

Then using File > Export > Export as MP3, the newly create audio does not save; instead this operation crashes the computer. -->Yes, but not the whole computer, only Audacity, its Windows vanishes and I get a Problem report to be sent

And using File > Open; instead this operation crashes the computer. -->Yes, but not the whole computer, only Audacity, its Windows vanishes

The same behavior occurs with a 2nd machine. -->Yes

Do you use the same security products on those machines? What do you use?

I only have the Windows 10 builtin security tools on both devices.
(I am a little late with my answer, cause I didn’t get an email notification. Must check this.)

After deinstalling Audacity remain a lot of registry entries. Woult it be an option to delete them all?