Importing wav files

Using 3.0.5 on win10

I get WAV files from an album zipped together. When I unzip them they are separate files. Is there any way to load them all into audacity for editing and conversion to mp3 or must I import them one at a time?

When you open “File menu > Import > Audio”, it allows you to select multiple files, so long as they are all in the same folder.
The files will appear as tracks, one above another.

To play the tracks one at a time, you can either use the solo/mute buttons (See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audio_tracks.html#mute), or align the tracks end to end (see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tracks_menu_align_tracks.html)

I tried that but there is some kind of a problem with the files. They play just fine on a media player like VLC but will not play when using Virtual DJ.
Testing again working with one file at a time does not have the timing problem. I was using CDex as a stand-alone converter before I started using Audacity but my new Windows 10 system flags CDex as a potential problem. Is there a safe download for CDex or can you suggest a replacement?

I thought that you were trying to import them into Audacity :confused:
Do they work in Audacity?

I did a little more research. Turns out there were two issues. First of all there was a problem with the Virtual DJ database after playing the converted files which doesn’t have anything to do with Audacity. Second, when the files are imported into Audacity they are aligned one above another. If they are exported using multiple there is no problem but if they are aligned end-to-end THEN exported multiple, the files accumulate the dead space in front of the tracks inflating the timing, The tracks seem fine but when played there is all that silence before the music starts. So if you are editing then exporting more than one file DO NOT ALIGN THEM END-TO-END.

When I unzip them they are separate files.

…but if they are aligned end-to-end THEN exported multiple

Are you trying to keep the files separate? If so it’s usually better to work on one file at a time. (There are times when you might want to edit/process the album as one-long file.)

Or if you’re not editing but just converting to MP3 a specialized conversion program is easier. I use [u]Kabuu Audio Converter[/u] or [u]TAudioConverter[/u]. Both of these can batch-convert and once it’s set-up it’s just drag, drop, and click. (I’ve never used CDex.)

Virtual DJ database after playing the converted files which doesn’t have anything to do with Audacity.

You probably lost your embedded metadata (“tags”). Audacity can edit/update metadata before you export but again if you’re not editing something specialized like [u]MP3Tag[/u] is better. Every format uses a metadata format and metadata for WAV is not well-standardized or widely supported. And, Audacity doesn’t support embedded artwork in any format.