"Failed to read from a file in C" can't open 1,36gb file

I’ve recorded an hour worth of material and when it finished saving my computer froze. After restarting the computer I proceed to check the project (which could be saved before the pc froze) and it gives me this error:
{
“timestamp”: 1634401706,
“event_id”: “9516ec36bb874f4f8b3b896a71008c14”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.0.5”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.18363”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “File_Error”,
“value”: “Audacity failed to read from a file in .”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “SqliteSampleBlock::Load::step”
}
}
}
]
}
}

I’ve seen other people on this forum being able to recover the files thanks to forum crew members (like jademan).
I’m desperate to recover even just the audio files. Any help is truly appreciated.

So the error (11) indicates a corrupt database.

I’ll take a stab at it. I can’t fix them all, you know. :wink: So zip it up, upload it to your favorite file sharing service, then post (or PM me) the link.

Oh, if you can fix it you’d be a lifesaver. Here’s the file, it’s an .aup3
Even just getting the audio in any kind of format would mean the world.
Thank you kindly for your time :slight_smile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0JuwtNHf5YC9v9SXBvv9A_IvOiZzWuc/view?usp=sharing

I don’t know if I’ve recovered the data in the right order (I don’t speak Spanish), but this is what I recovered from the project:
[Updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/esegjj48rb8jai6/podcast.flac?dl=0]

OK, so the usual methods for recovering your data failed. I have a program that reads in an .aup3 file and extracts everything good or bad that looks like audio, and skips everything else. I have extracted your data in this manner. So hopefully all of your audio is in there. I have PM’d the link. :slight_smile:

Edited: Sorry, Steve, I didn’t notice your post…

Did the entire computer freeze?
Any idea why it froze?
Where was the file saved?

Thanks for taking your time to help me, I don’t have any message in my PMs though. I wouldn’t mind it if you just post the link here on the thread. Again, thank you very much :slight_smile:

Yeah, it does that some times. It completely freezes. Randomly. I even have trouble booting up sometimes. I usually have to go to the bios to select the boot disk, almost everytime I need the computer. The PC started getting weird like six months ago, and I’ve go no idea why it does that.

As for the files you dropboxed, that definetly was some parts of the audio, but it originally lasted for an hour and eight minutes. I don’t know if you sent me just a bit to check if that was it to avoid uploading the full 1gb or if that’s all there was. Anyways, thank you wholeheartedly for trying to solve my problem.

PM resent. Also here: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

The AUP3 file is corrupted. That was all of the audio data that I could find in the project.
I think this is a better version than the first, but still only about 7 mins: Dropbox - podcast.flac - Simplify your life

Perhaps worth doing a health check on your hard drive and RAM.

Well, it looks like I’m definetly doomed with this. If you guys could only scrap 7 minutes of glitchy audio, I don’t think anyone else could do better. Thank you very very much again for taking your time and trying to solve this mess, I really appreciate it. Kind regards from Barcelona :wink:

I’ve recorded an hour worth of material and when it finished saving my computer froze.

Can we assume a live performance such as voice or interview? It is highly recommended that your first action after finishing a performance is File > Export the work as a WAV (Microsoft) stand-alone sound file. Use the default settings—16-bit—as unlikely to cause problems later and you don’t have to think about it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 13.39.43.png
Use good filename hygiene. No punctuation marks other than -dash- and underscore.

Only then save a Project or edit or whatever else was part of the production.

If Audacity, the Computer, or the Project goes face-first into the dirt after that, it should be possible to repair things, open a copy of the WAV file and keep right on going. If the work has to go to another producer, sending a copy of the WAV is the way to go.

If Audacity can’t export a WAV file from your performance, then you need to stop production immediately and find out why. It’s possible your computer, in its present state, is not up to sound production.

Koz

Hi, I just encountered this issue with a file that is about 40 minutes long and I was working on for three hours already. The aup3 file is still on my computer and it says it’s 2gig, but when I open it, I get “Audacity Failed to Read from a file in C.” And then this message below. When the track opens up it is blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

“timestamp”: 1635233007,
“event_id”: “012980e77f86e5468a959648cdcfd9fe”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.0.5”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.19043”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “File_Error”,
“value”: “Audacity failed to read from a file in .”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “101”,
“sqlite3.context”: “SqliteSampleBlock::Load::step”
}

This is a duplicate of this post: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audacity-failed-to-read-from-a-file-in-c-cant-open-file/63066/1
which is answered there.

Topic locked to avoid confusion.