Updated audacity, now no plugins

I have updated to Audacity 3.0.5, and now my plugins won’t work. I get ‘Attempting to initialize the following effect failed’. Log says ‘Trying to load FFmpeg libraries’. I’ve tried reloading ffmpeg, and the effects. Add/Remove plugins shows that the effects are activated. Windows 10. Thanks.

The 64-bit version of Audacity needs the 64-bit FFmpeg. The installer is FFmpeg_v2.2.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows_64bit.exe, and it will be installed to a different location.

Your Nyquist plug-ins should still work but you might have to move them to the new plug-ins sub-folder for 64-bit Audacity. Of course the built-in plug-ins will work. 3rd-party 32-bit VST plug-ins don’t work in 64-bit Audacity.

I got the 64 bit FFmpeg, and my favorite plugin, BC Triple Eq says it will work for 32 or 64 bit. The built in effects work, but I’ve gotten used to a set of effects that I’ve collected and used over the years. Do I have to uninstall all the plugins and ffmpeg and start over, or check that ffmpeg is in the right folder?

Yes, you’ll have to install the 64-bit versions. If they are not available as 64-bits, you’re out of luck. :frowning:

It’s probably a good idea to uninstall (or “hide”) the old ones.

By default, the 64-bit version of FFmpeg should be installed in C:\Program Files\FFmpeg for Audacity. I don’t think you have to uninstall or remove the old one in C:\Program Files (x86)…

The latest version of Audacity for Windows is available in 32 & 64 bit …

If you use the 32 bit version you can still use your old 32 bit plugins.

Thanks, guys, I’ll keep on trying!