Low sound and clicking noises MXL 990, XLR mic with the M-Audio M-Track Solo USB audio interface

Windows 10
Audacity 2.4.2

Hello. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I’m using the MXL 990, XLR mic with the M-Audio M-Track Solo USB audio interface. When I record on audacity the recording is very low. I have the volume/gain knob for input one set at six or seven. When I normalize the audio to -3 dB I can hear it okay, but there is a noticeable static-like hum. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you seeing the green signal indicator on the interface? If you turn-up the volume and shout into the mic does it show red/clipping?

Also, make sure you’ve selected the USB device in Audacity and scratch the microphone grill with your fingernail to make sure you’re recording from the MXL, not the mic built into your laptop.

Clipping (“overload distortion”) should show 0dB in Audacity (full-signal waves hitting -1 & +1). Except if you are recording in mono with the mic-input only (no guitar), you’ll clip at -6dB (50%). Audacity is reducing both signals so the guitar and mic can be combined to mono without clipping (as long both inputs are not clipped).

Also, the MXL 990 microphone is a condenser microphone, so it will need phantom power, but you already knew this…

Are you seeing the green signal indicator on the interface? If you turn-up the volume and shout into the mic does it show red/clipping?

Yes on both accounts.

Also, make sure you’ve selected the USB device in Audacity and scratch the microphone grill with your fingernail to make sure you’re recording from the MXL, not the mic built into your laptop.

Yes, I am definitely recording from the MXL microphone.

Clipping (“overload distortion”) should show 0dB in Audacity (full-signal waves hitting -1 & +1). Except if you are recording in mono with the mic-input only (no guitar), you’ll clip at -6dB (50%). Audacity is reducing both signals so the guitar and mic can be combined to mono without clipping (as long both inputs are not clipped).

I know this is important, but it is a little bit over my head. I am just recording my voice On a mono track. I have the XLR cable connected to the condenser mic in a makeshift recording booth that is about six feet away from my laptop. However, when I am in front of my laptop And I snap my fingers or if I Whistle I see the indicator on of the m-track interface lighting up.

However, I am still getting a very low sound and audio. If it’s okay, I would like to please record a couple of seconds into audacity with the gain on the M trak interface set at seven. Thank you very much for volunteering your time to help me with this. I will try to pay it forward.