Recording a voice track

I’m very frustrated. I’ve been using Audacity for years and found it very easy to use and very intuitive. But when I changed computer with windows 10, I had to download the new version and feel so frustrated! I feel like a complete idiot just trying to record my voice over a sountrack recorded by the guitarist of my band. I can’t figure out a way to start the recording where I want it to start. It always starts at the end of the original track. Can you please help me! This is so infuriating!

Click on the track at the point that you want to start recording, then press “Shift + R” (or hold down the “Shift” key and click the “Record” button).

Hi mrs.ticket2011

Its sounds as you have “Append” enabled, which will record on the END of a recording.
Click on PREFERENCES - RECORDING - select RECORD ON A NEW TRACK see below.
RECORD-ON-A-NEW-TRACK.jpg
To record vocal track.
See below
TRACKS - ADD NEW - MONO TRACK.jpg
A new audio track has been created. Place cursor at the point you wish to start. Press RECORD
PLACE-CURSOR-WHERE-YOU-WANT-VOCAL.jpg
However, all laptops vary, mine has only one 3.5mm socket, TRRS in and TRS out so I cannot do overdubs unless I have USB microphone.

May I suggest you re-post on the Making Music With Audacity if the above does not work.
TRRS.jpg