Pinsound Audio Level Recommendations

I have been using Audacity to create WAV and OGG files to create orchestrations for the Pinsound soundboard card. This card is used in a pinball machine to replace the original soundboard. I wanted to ask what other users of the Pinsound card are adjusting in Audacity when creating music tracks? If you are using the Amplify effect, how do you determine your desired level? Are you also using Gain to keep the sound level at a certain maximum?

If there are any good threads on using the Amplify effect, please post the links here.

Thanks for your assistance.

I’ve never heard of it but there’s probably no reason not to normalize (“maximize”) everything, right? Beyond that, it’s up to you if you wanted to make some quiet sounds.

You can use limiting & compression if normalization doesn’t get it loud enough. (The “original” sounds are probably already highly dynamically compressed if you are re-using the original sound files/data.)

And, I assume there is some kind of volume control on the machine?

Are you also using Gain to keep the sound level at a certain maximum?

That would probably be limiting (which is a kind of dynamic compression). You limit the peaks and then use “make-up gain” to bring-up the overall volume.