Using time shift on a selected track

Hi
I am new to Audacity, using version 3.0.4 with Windows 10.

I am trying to insert a music track in the middle of a podcast. Many tutorials I have read online say I should be able to select part of the audio and use the time shift too to move it so I have a “gap” where I can insert the music clip. However even though I only have part of the audio selected, Audacity attempts to time shift the whole track.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, that is correct. Audacity will move the whole track (or whole clip).

So you will have to take your track and split it in two. To do this:

1. Click at the point where you want to make the break.
  2. Edit > Clip Boundaries > Split

When I do my tutorials I use split track, but always put any extras (such as music) on a new track. I find it gives a lot more control than pasting directly into the gap.

Doing this gives the opportunity to make minute editing adjustments by sliding the three pieces of audio back and forth until is perfect for public release.

This is why I whole heartedly embrace digital technology.

Thanks

What’s the easiest way to put a song in the middle of a recording. It’s a podcast where I discuss songs and I want to insert the music now.
I tried using the split took but it either cuts off part of my intro to the song or includes too much of what I say after the song.

I tried playing (I have a quick play enabled) then pausing at the part where I want to insert the music and then splitting but it still seems to cut it in the wrong place.

Any ideas.

What’s the easiest way to put a song in the middle of a recording. It’s a podcast where I discuss songs and I want to insert the music now.
I tried using the split took but it either cuts off part of my intro to the song or includes too much of what I say after the song.

I don’t know if this is the “easiest” but I’d make 3 separate files that can be “trimmed” if necessary.

I’d actually make two copies of the main file (part 1 & part 2) and trim the beginning off of one and the end off of the other.

Import all 3 tracks at once and you can move them around. It’s also possible to make a short (or long) crossfade where the sections are joined if that makes sense in your program.