Unequal Compression of Tracks

Does anyone know why when I apply the compressor on all selected tracks aligned end to end, the first track is compressed, whereas the other tracks are either compressed partially or are not compressed at all? This did not happen in the previous version of the program which I used, because when the compressor was run, all the tracks were compressed equally.

If “Compress based on peaks” is not selected, then it could just be that the RMS level is below, or close to the “Threshold” level for all clips except for the first.

The following is what happens. RMS and compression based on peaks are apparently not related to the issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YkWq37cdgGuBY6XE3qHcX08AzaLEfLzD/view?usp=sharing

Excellent. Thanks for that, I can reproduce the problem and it’s definitely a bug.

I’ll log the bug on the issue tracker.

Wow, this gets more weird the more I look at it.

The best workaround that I’ve found so far is:

1. Select one track
  2. Apply the compressor
  3. Select the next track
  4. “Ctrl + R” (repeat the last effect)
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary

Which exact version of Audacity are you using? (Look in “Help menu > About Audacity”)

Yes, I had thought that the cause may be in some malfunctioning of the program.
The version which I use currently is 3.0.4.
The version which I had been using previously without the issue was 2.2.2. I had then updated to the current version.

The best workaround that I’ve found so far is:
Select one track
Apply the compressor
Select the next track
“Ctrl + R” (repeat the last effect)
Repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary

Is it possible to create a macro instruction for selecting all of the tracks in this way and applying the compressor to them? I use audacity mainly for processing multiple big files loaded into a single project.

I had hoped that we could work around the bug that way, but unfortunately the bug still happens. :frowning:

Apparently the “Mix and render” command has to be used first in order for the compressor to work properly on all of the audio. When I create labels at the beginning of each of the tracks and then mix the tracks into one track and apply the compressor, all of the audio is compressed, and the audio can subsequently be exported into separate files based on the labels.