Can I remove little gaps that my microphone is making during the recording?

So on the pic you can see couple of types of gaps that my mic is making. I read on the other topics that it can be removed with truncate silence effect and it did kind of work but it also removed silences that were no only in the speech itself but the ones that were just me taking breaths. so it sounded like I was talking non-stop. is there a way it detects these small gaps caused by my mic in the speeches and removes only them? for now I have to manually remove them but it gets so timeconsuming when I have to do 20 mins of audio everyweek.
image0.jpg

The best solution is to try and stop your mic from producing those gaps.
What sort of mic is it?
Which version of Audacity are you using?
What settings do you have in the Device Toolbar?
Do you get labels automatically added where the gaps appear (dropout detection)?

This is an odd problem. Your show duration is correct, you just have silent bits in place of your voice. What normally happens is the recording briefly drops dead and the recorded show is shorter than the live performance.

The best solution is to try and stop your mic from producing those gaps.

What he said. And if you can’t do that, think about an alternative way to produce your work. I have several stand-alone sound recorders and I’ve been able to produce acceptable voice work on my phone (there’s tricks to this).

Nobody in authority said you had to produce the recordings on your computer, and there are lots of good reasons why you shouldn’t.

Koz

The first thing to do is to find out what is causing these drop-outs by a process of elimination. If your microphone is USB, try another USB input.

I would start by checking if dirt and detritus has got into the connections - either USB or 3.5mm jack.

To do this, It’s worth going to your local electronic store and buy an electronic cleaner such as compressed air to clean the microphone connection and the input into your device (laptop or tower). DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE, SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD OR OIL BASE CLEANERS

Then try a new recording and analyse.

If their are still drop outs try plugging into your device something that can playback audio and record it in Audacity.

Play back and analyse.

If there are drop-outs then highly probable that the input connection is the culprit.

Try another clean with the compressed air.
Then try a new recording and analyse.

In addition, its work investigating the sound card. There are many apps available to check this.

This procedure will establish if it’s the microphone, connections or sound card.

If there are drop-outs then highly probable that the input connection is the culprit.

In this instance, they’re not dropouts. Audacity is not just missing parts of the performance. Audacity is recording the wrong performance for a while. That’s really odd. None of the usual troubleshooting tricks work.

We usually find classic dropouts by searching for a sudden change between two different sounds (red dot).

It’s a puzzle where the silence is coming from. If a classic USB connection problem is bad enough, Audacity may crash from the data damage. That didn’t happen, either.

Koz

I think I can force this to break. If I had a legacy analog microphone plugged into a classic soundcard…

… I can get this damage if the connection at the sound card (red socket) is ratty.

The microphone could periodically disconnect and the soundcard would just keep right on sending “silence.”

You can get a similar problem with a USB interface and an analog microphone…

… although that’s a lot less likely. Commercial/Broadcast/Recording microphones don’t just disconnect like that unless they’re broken.

Koz

Commercial/Broadcast/Recording microphones

Even less likely is damaged cause by someone adapting a high-end microphone to a sound card. That does occasionally post on the forum. Super bad idea.

Koz