Cannot hear vocals during playback

Using Win 10, when I record a tune from an LP (using a Behringer UCA-222 audio interface) I can hear the music clearly on both channels while recording. On playback, using the same speakers, the vocals on one channel is very faint. Audacity is current 3.0.4.

Just to make sure… This is one of those recordings with vocals on one side (or these vocals on one side)? Usually the lead vocals are in the “center” (identical in both sides).

Make sure that Audacity and Windows are both [u]configured for stereo[/u].

I can hear the music clearly on both channels while recording.

Are your speakers plugged into the Behringer? If yes, is the monitor switch on (bypassing the computer) or off (monitoring through the computer)?

When recording, the speakers are plugged into the Behringer. During playback, I disconnect Behringer and route back through the computer.

The tune I noticed this with is Wooden Ships from Crosby, Stills and Nash, presuming you are familiar with it. The vocals start off alternating left to right and back again. During playback, one side is very faint. Both Windows and Audacity are configured for stereo.

Just for grins, I tried another old LP. Her Majesty from Abbey Road. During this 15 second tune, Paul’s voice goes across the speakers from one side to the other. Playing it back, I get the same thing. Paul’s voice is barely audible to start with and progressively gets louder as it moves to the other side.

I also tried it in Mono. Paul’s voice starts off barely audible here as well, and increases in volume during the song.

Does the schematic below represent your set-up? Is the cable from the turntable to the Behringe RCA phono? If so, are they the thin bell-wire type - these are notorious for playing-up, try another cable (preferably new), then record and analyse.

If no success, try plugging-in the record deck via the Behringe into another computer, then record and analyse. If ok, then problem lies with your computer.

If no success, then fault lies with your record deck or the Behringe. Check the back of the phono deck as some have 2 or 3 sets of phono outputs.

If possible upload a clip (please not Crosby, Still and Nash). As for Ringo’s drum solo, that was the only time his drums were ever recorded in stereo (according to Geoff Emerick).

As for one instrument being one side or the other, this called “exaggerated stereo” it was deliberately mixed this way because most people at time did not have Hi-Fi separates only Radiogrames, where the built-in speakers were no more than 1500mm apart.
Diagram_1.jpg

Just for grins, I tried another old LP. Her Majesty from Abbey Road. During this 15 second tune, Paul’s voice goes across the speakers from one side to the other. Playing it back, I get the same thing. Paul’s voice is barely audible to start with and progressively gets louder as it moves to the other side.

That’s typical when Windows is set-up for mono recording but Audacity is set for stereo. (Usually the left channel gets recorded and the right channel is ignored.)

I also tried it in Mono.

That means Audacity was intentionally-temporarily set to mono, right?

…Hang onto that record and make a note for future testing-troubleshooting!

ISSAACC / DVDDoug,

First of all, thank you both for helping with this.

The schematic is not quite the same as you show.

The turntable is connected to the Behringer RCA input.
The USB is connected to the computer.
There are no RCA output cables attached.

During record, I can hear the LP track either on a headset or by plugging in stereo speakers to Behringer. It sounds perfect which tells me there is nothing wrong with the input from the turntable or the Behringer unit up to that point.

It’s only during playback where there is a difference. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the USB connection to the computer, perhaps the cable itself. But, that is just my guess.

I would say you are probably right. It could be the USB cable connection, and trying a new cable would prove one way or the other.

I’m in my late sixties now, have took a keen interest in audio and recording all my life. Building a small 4-track studio in the eighties taught me more about recording, editing and mixing than anything else. I can assure you that anything to do with sound problems - always look to the cables, and inputs and outputs first.

May make a suggestion. I would record your LP’s direct onto your computer for archive purposes, if they are original copies. Nothing added, nothing taken away - warts and all.

Purchase a decent cassette deck and record your LP’s onto cassette tape. Get a portable cassette player (I hear Walkmans are as cheap as chips) and then you will portable analogue (or as near as dammit) wherever you go.

If you wish I can tell how to EQ music to give “warm sound”.

You and I are close to the same age. I just turned 70. My, how time flies.

The USB is built into the Behringer. Not a separate cord. I am going to return this unit and request another.

Yes, if you can tell me how to get that “warm sound,” I would appreciate that. If I can get past the Behringer issue, that would be great. Thanks.