recording tape to mp3

hey guys,
i try to record my types to mp3 on my computer. I use Win10 64 Bit and Audacity 3.0.3.

My casette-recorder has a line-out for headsets. It works, when i plug in my headset, so i can hear the sound of the tape.
Audacity records my voice if i speak into my microphone, plugged into my computers line-In (the line-In is also the Line-Out).
And last but not least i have a mini-jack-cable (2xmale 3,5mm). The cable transports the signal if i plug it into the Line-Out of my Computer and into the Line-In of my Casette-Recorder, so i can hear the music i am playing on my computer.

But if I plug the Cable into the Line-Out of my Casette-Recorder and into the Line-In on my Computer and press record in Audacity there is only a flatline and nothing is recorded.

I hope i could express my problem in my bad english. Can anyone help me?

Select line-in as your recording device in Audacity…

https ://manual.audacityteam.org/man/how_to_set_up_audacity.html
https ://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html

(the line-In is also the Line-Out).

If you have a laptop it’s probably microphone input which requires a special 4-condictor [u]TRRS plug[/u] to make the microphone connection. There are headsets (headphones with a microphone) that have this kind of plug.

A line-level (or headphone-level) signal is about 100 times stronger than a microphone signal and the mic input is mono so although it can “work” you won’t get the best quality.

If you don’t have line-in you can get a USB interface with line inputs. The Behringer UCS202 (or 222) is popular and relatively inexpensive. Sometimes the Behringers are hard to find. There are lots of higher-end interfaces with switchable mic*/line inputs and some lower cost interfaces with line inputs. You may need a different adapter/cable. The Behringers have RCA inputs and most of the higher-end interfaces use a 1/4-inch input connection for line-level inputs.

\

• These higher-end interfaces usually work with stage/studio mics with an XLR connection and they are not compatible with a regular “computer mic”.

thanx for the infos. the settings were right.
it has something to do with the “hardware”. the manual-page was a good hint.
I’ll try it on a computer with another line-in. i got a combined microphone-headset line in/out on my laptop.

I’ll try it on a computer with another line-in

On a desktop/tower computer with a regular soundcard the line-input is normally color-coded blue.