How to split an mp3 file around a silence gap

Hi -
Brand new to Audacity and using version 2.3.3 on a Windows 7 machine.
Have an mp3 file with a title but there is a second hidden song contained in the file after a long gap of silence.
Basically I want to remove the silence and split the remaining audio into 2 separate files. First file would have the original track title and second file would get a new track title.
I know this seems simple but again new to Audacity and I searched for answer but couldn’t find one that exactly matched/explained what I want to do.
Thanks for any reply…

Select-highlight each section of audio and File → Export → Export Selected Audio, one file at a time. Sometimes I find it helpful to keep a little extra silence at the beginning and end, then re-open and trim more carefully. But if you do that save (export) your temporary file as WAV.

…As you may know, MP3 is lossy compression. When you open a compressed file in a (regular) audio editor it gets decompressed, and if you re-export as MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression. You may not hear any quality loss but you should be aware of this.

There is a special-purpose application called [u]MP3DirectCut[/u] that can do these simple kinds of editing without decoding. (I’ve only used it a few times so I can’t help you with that program.)