How can I rectify audio dropouts while recording?

I am using hp laptop (Windows 10)… My audacity version is 3.0.3. I am using Bm-800 condenser mic… I tried several steps to rectify this problem such as opting dropout detection, 44100 Hz, reducing latency to zero etc… But nothing is working… Please suggest some appropriate measures as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

What exactly do you mean by dropout? Does the recording stop when you’re not saying anything, or does the recording not pick up anything while you’re in the middle of saying something?

reducing latency to zero etc…

Did you try increasing the buffer size? Sometimes no buffer works for some reason but theoretically it would be worse without a buffer.

And try to minimize multitasking or background operations… When you record the digital audio data streams into the buffer at a smooth-constant rate. Your operating system is always multitasking (even if you’re only running one application). When the operating system gets-around to it, the e buffer is read in a quick burst and the data is written to your hard drive. If the buffer is too small or it doesn’t get read in-time you get buffer overflow and a glitch/dropout. Note that the other applications/processes/drivers don’t have to be using lots of total CPU time, it just has to “hog” the system for a few milliseconds too long.

Bm-800 condenser mic

That would be the BM-800 Professional Broadcasting Studio Recording Condenser Microphone?

Is there anything this microphone won’t do?

Deliver, for one. It’s the only eBay purchase I ever made that was never delivered.

Koz

#LWinterberg. I meant that my recorded voice is not increasing… Its just decreasing sometimes… At times, the wave disappears and a straight line appears… It happens several times while hearing a recording… When the line appears, the voice decreases significantly.

#DVDdoug I did not increase the buffer size… I just tried to decrease it from 100 to 50… When I decrease it to zero, it gave me the worst experience… (No sound was there for the recording)… No other background operations are entertained during recording… My laptop is not used for other uses… Only for recording. So anyway I will try to increase the buffer size… But to which extend should I increase it?

#kozikowski Yes…Exactly the same. But the microphone is best… One of my friends is using this mic… He is using this mic without an interface or sound card!! He is also recording in audacity… Yet his songs are full of clarity… His recordings do not face any dropouts… I wished to buy this mic by seeing his songs…

#LWinterberg. I meant that my recorded voice is not increasing… Its just decreasing sometimes… At times, the wave disappears and a straight line appears… It happens several times while hearing a recording… When the line appears, the voice decreases significantly.

Make sure [u]Windows “enhancements”[/u] are turned-OFF.

In the days of analog tape a temporary drop in volume was a “dropout”. But [u]digital dropouts[/u] are usually only a few milliseconds long and it might be heard as a “click” rather than a loss of sound. :wink:

Hi brother… I tried increasing the buffer size from 100 to 200,500 and even 1000…but it showed little difference… Could you please suggest me some other effective measures?

Drag-select some sound so a dropout is in the middle with a couple of seconds of successful sound on both sides.

File > Export > Export Selected Audio > WAV format.

Post it on the forum. Scroll down from a forum text window > Attachments > Add Files.

Koz

Sometimes we can analyze the damage easier by looking at the waves than trying to interpret you explaining it. As above, there are several systems that can produce “holes” in the sound.

Koz