Recording automatically limited to -12db

Hi,

While using Maono Au-A04 Condenser microphone on Audacity 3.03, the recording somehow is limted to-12db. if I increase the recording volume, the limit increases but so does the volume and it is always distorted. This does not happen with my CAD u37 USB condenser microphone.

I was unable to find any setting that can increase the amplitude. Please help
audacity.PNG

This is likely related to your stereo/mono selections. Try changing your stereo/mono selection in

(a) the Audacity Device Toolbar

(b) the Windows Audio Control Panel: From the Windows search bar, run “mmsys.cpl”, then Recording > “your microphone” > Properties > Adanced > Default Rate

and,
(c) the physical device itself.

If only one of your USB microphones does it, I think you’re talking yourself into a broken microphone.

A “normal” broken microphone may clip and distort at -6dB. That’s half or double. That’s easy to explain by, for example, a stereo/mono conversion gone wrong.

-12dB is most unusual. I’m not sure I can easily imagine what could cause an error like that.

Before you send it back, try it out on a different computer. I bet it’s weird-broken there, too.

Koz

The mic level slider could cure your -12dB problem , (but not your clipping problem).

Thank you for your reply.
I checked that. The major problem is of clipping. Even if I increase the slider, the mic input gets louder and distorted.

If you move the slider up, how high will the level go? Can you get it to go up to 0 dB? (Don’t play the recording - it will be very loud and horrible - I’m just interested in how high it will go).

If you move the slider up, how high will the level go? Can you get it to go up to 0 dB? (Don’t play the recording - it will be very loud and horrible - I’m just interested in how high it will go).

It can get up to 0 db. But the recording quality becomes terrible

That indicates that the problem is occurring before the audio reaches Audacity.

The problem may be related to this: https://youtu.be/jqBGOije7l0?t=138

The problem may be related to this: > https://youtu.be/jqBGOije7l0?t=138

I checked this earlier, but no, the problem is different here.
I think there is a gain limit inbuild in the microphone. So I will need to replace the microphone.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I tried the first two, and many other methods. But I guess the problem is the 3rd one. So I will replace it.
Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

What about turning down the mic level & mic-boost sliders …