M4A file unsupported despite newest Audacity and FFmpeg versions

Upon opening a M4A file I received a Advanced Audio Coding file error instructing me to install the FFmpeg library. I followed the instructions exactly as stated in the Installing FFmpeg for Windows guide, and despite that, I still receive the error when I try to open the file. The same applies to any M4A file, and guaranteed they’re not corrupt.

Running Audacity 3.0.3.

If you can find that another program such as VLC can read the file correctly, then simply export it as a .WAV file from that other program, then read that .WAV file into Audacity.

When you go to Edit → Preferences → Libraries does it find it?

Another option is to convert the file to WAV with TAudioConverter or Kabuu Audio Converter.

It does. Doesn’t work either automatically or manually. And I guess I can convert, but I’d really like to edit the file as M4A. What else could I be doing wrong? Is this common to not work for some?

It works for me… I installed Audacity 3.0.3 a couple of days ago. Then I downloaded and ran FFmpeg_v2.2.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows_64bit.exe. (I got some “warnings” but I ignored them.)

Just now I opened an M4A file with no issues.

I’ve been following instructions to the letter, but of course it isn’t working. I can’t seem to figure out why YOUR program wants to map to the FFmpeg file through my outlook folders which are in the cloud. NO MATTER WHAT I DO, YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AREN’T WORKING AND I CAN’T EDIT THE VOICE OVER I RECORDED FOR AN HOUR. I recorded myself using a simple voice recording software that came with my windows operating system. Why didn’t you design this garbage to work with that kind of a file instead of forcing an entire community to go through a complicated process explained by incompetent developers???

Which instructions?
Which version of Audacity?

The Audacity documentation was written by volunteers from the Audacity community. If you’re not happy with it, then perhaps you could help to improve it.

I’ve no idea what that means, but if you would like to calmly explain the problem that you are having, then I expect that someone on this community forum will be happy to try and help you.

What kind of file are you referring to?
Audacity natively supports WAV, OGG, FLAC, MP3, MP2 and a few other formats. Some other formats (such as M4A) have license restrictions that make it difficult for open source projects to support directly.

I understand that you are frustrated, but please be aware that this is a community forum. Please keep the discussion civilized.

Hi, I’d like to note that I have nothing to do with the other commenter. I’ve always been pleased with Audacity, and certainly with the support I’ve gotten on these forums.

I will answer one of steve’s questions to him though, as that one might apply to my case, too, and after all, I am the original poster :slight_smile:

The guide found in audacity/help/manual/man/installing_ffmpeg_for_windows.html.
Audacity version 3.0.3.

@AudiOw
See if Audacity can import this file:

No issues here. Windows 10 64-bit, Audacity 3.0.3, FFmpeg_v2.2.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows_64bit.exe.

@AudiOw
It appears that FFmpeg has not loaded.

Do this so that we can see what’s occurring:

1. Quit Audacity
  2. Launch Audacity
  3. “Help menu > Diagnostics > Show Log”
  4. Save the log somewhere convenient, then upload it with your reply.

Looks like there were 2 versions of Audacity on my computer and when trying to open an audio file it would use the earlier Audacity version.
FIxed, thank you for the help! :slight_smile: