Audacity does not do the recording

Hello,

I use Windows 10. The version number is 2.1.3.
The device doesn’t seem to record the recording. i play the cassette and click on “Record” as the manual says. Yet the blue waving track doesn’t appear on the screen. When I rewind the cassette and play it, I think I hear the noise of the room, not the recording. I adjust the volume although there is no + or - to say which end is the highest and the lowest volume. What do I do wrong?
Thank you for your help.

Tibor

I think I hear the noise of the room, not the recording.

You may have selected your laptop’s microphone as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. Of course that’s easy top test by saying something or clapping your hands, etc.

How is the cassette player connected to the computer? Is it a laptop? Most laptops don’t have line-in so you’d normally need a cassette player with USB, or or a USB audio interface with line inputs. The line-input on a regular soundcard in a desktop/tower computer is usually color-coded blue.

I adjust the volume although there is no + or - to say which end is the highest and the lowest volume.

Really? I have it but I’m running version 3.0.2. To the right is higher, and if you’re getting a signal the meters are also higher (less negative) to the right.

Also,

1. Make sure you have Windows permission to record from the microphone: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+microphone+permissions&oq=windows+microphone+permissions&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0i22i30l3j69i60.8087j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2. In Audacity, do Transport > Rescan audio devices

3. Make sure that your device is selected in Audacity’s Device Toolbar