Tuning an mp3 file into silent subliminal

hoping someone could help me. been trying for a couple of months to figure out how to the mp3 file I uploaded and turn it into a silent subliminal that I can attach to music. I’m not real tech savvy I try and understand the terms but it only confuses me:? I can’t even figure out how to highlight anything and have somehow made the voice too low and slow. I’m using version 3.0.2 on windows 10. is there any step-by-step instruction on what I’m trying to do or is anyone willing to walk me through it? p :blush: :question: please help

There are different ways of making a “subliminal” file but if you just want to drown-out the subliminal message with music…

• Open the subliminal file first.

• Run the Amplify effect and enter a negative value to reduce the volume. Try -30dB. If that’s not quiet enough you can start-over and go quieter.

• File import → Audio to open the music track…

• When you play or export the sounds will be mixed.

It’s OK if you start with MP3s but If you are saving as MP3, note that MP3 compression works by throwing-away sounds you can’t hear so the subliminal message may be lost. …But it should be equally (in)effective. :wink:

Once again the note that you should never do production in MP3. As DVDdoug above, MP3 gets its small, convenient files by cleverly scrambling tones in the performance and then dropping tones that normal people can’t hear. If you do this once, as the format was intended, everybody enjoys the show and goes home happy.

The problem is you can’t do this more than once. If you make an MP3 from an MP3, it stops being able to hide the damage, and by the third time, it turns the show to trash.

So that’s the first problem.

The second problem, also noted, is which process would you like to use. There are several. I think my favorite one isn’t silent. It’s two different messages played at the same time, one much simpler than the other. It’s hard to listen to. Your head locks into the longer, more complex message, but later testing reveals you have been listening to and hearing to the other one, too, without realizing it.

But probably the most serious problem with all of these processes is closed-loop testing. This is where you lose the engineers.

The straight-line pathway is not listen to a subliminal message and give up smoking. It’s create the subliminal message and then subject it to reverse engineering and see if the original message comes back. In many of these processes, it doesn’t, and the process is pure wish-fulfillment magic.

So step one is drop the MP3 files as a hot rock and go from there.

Koz

You didn’t say what the job was. If it’s to affect other people’s behavior without them realizing it, then you have just talked your way out of Audacity Forum Help.

There is a successful way to clinically affect behavior, but it’s not popular because it’s a lot of work with a staff and not fooling around in the basement.

You tell the patient right up front that the goal is to give up smoking and you keep reinforcing that idea through the course of the treatment. Watch interviews with people who got it to work and other success stories. Doesn’t matter if they’re real. The patients go to sleep listening to random noises in headphones and wake up each morning convincing themselves they they have achieved subliminal nirvana and watch their smoking addiction decline.

Koz

so can i take the mp3 file and turn it into a subliminal file? what is a subliminal file (wav, txt, sorry cant remember what they are called) do I rerecord the mp3 into something else?

what is a subliminal file (wav, txt, sorry cant remember what they are called) do I rerecord the mp3 into something else?

WAV (and FLAC) is lossless. You may want to make a lossless file even if you start with an MP3.

MP3 is lossy. Information is thrown-away to make the file smaller. The “damage” happens during compression and with a high-quality MP3 you may not notice any quality loss. Of course you wouldn’t notice if the subliminal information was thrown-away.

When you open an MP3 in an audio editor it gets decompressed… No additional damage happens during decompression and of course it will be decompressed when you play it. If then you export from Audacity as MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression and damage does accumulate (and the subliminal information may be lost).

so can i take the mp3 file

You can take the MP3 file and listen to it. That’s the intended pathway. MP3’s full family name is MPEG-1, Layer-3. It’s the music track for a video.

Using it to make another product—using it in production—is always going to create unstable conditions and that’s the last thing you want when your job is a little magic in the first place.

And I didn’t see an answer to the question of what the job is. Why are we doing this? Why are we here?

Koz

These days, especially with the proliferation of streaming platforms and social media,
AAC (Advanced Audio Codec), is becoming more common place than mp3 as the audio track for video.
A very popular format is a MP4 container using h.264 codec for the video and AAC for the audio.

Like MP3, AAC is also a lossy codec, but does give better quality at the same bit rate.
In fact, some video container formats do not support MP3 audio, but prefer AAC, AC3 or lossless PCM wav.

The Apple MOV container also expects AAC audio (with h.264 video), although some media players
will accept MP3 as the audio track.
Many will just not play the audio.
Note, the MOV container will also accept quite a large variety of video and audio codecs and is quite versatile.

Youtube also uses Opus audio, whilst some streaming sites aimed at the “hifi” enthusiast also use FLAC.
Another container gaining popularity, large part due to YT, is Webm.
The video is VP9/AV1, whilst the audio uses Vorbis/Opus.

MP3 will continue to be used with “stand alone” audio for a long while yet, but when combined
with video, AAC for domestic use is the most widely used, together with AC-3 which is more
for surround sound set-ups.

For professional setups, wav is the de-facto standard and is the audio used in video codecs
such as ProRes, DNxHD, XDCAM and many others.

sorry koz i knew i was forgetting something…lol the job is myself im a 13year domestic violence survivor and I nd to find a way to stop sabotaging any relationship so I can properly react to situations instead of my automatic reactions because I only end up blowing my relationships up and I can’t do affirmations in the mirror I never believe them so thought if I can do a silent subliminal may help me to at least get started on my recovery mode.
so should I rerecord the affirmations only saved to a different format? my mp3 file is uploaded and sounds fine on audacity and that’s as far as I can seem to get so what do I do next?

I rerecord the affirmations only saved to a different format? my mp3 file is uploaded and sounds fine on audacity and that’s as far as I can seem to get so what do I do next?

The format of the original music and original affirmation are not that important. The most important thing is that the MIXED file with the music AND low-level subliminal is exported as WAV.

If you follow the instructions I gave you above, lowering the volume of the affirmation, and then saving/exporting together to mix, you will get a mix of both files.

BTW - With this method there is a way to “extract” the subliminal to prove it’s there… You simply have to invert the music and then mix with the already-mixed file, and the music from both files will cancel-out leaving the subliminal message.

• Open the “original” music-only file and run the Invert effect.
  • Then File → Import Audio to bring-in the mixed file.
  • Now export to a new file name. (The music should cancel.)
  • Open the new file (which should only include the affirmation and run the Amplify effect to bring-up the volume.

\

I admire your self-help pursuits but subliminal messages are unproven and I’m totally skeptical… But, it could work as long as you know there are affirming messages.

I saw something on TV about “how the brain works” that’s not directly related to subliminal but it’s indirectly related. It was an experiment where people were shown some common pictures like The Mona Lisa, maybe a picture of the Eiffel Tower and Mount Rushmore, etc. There was something wrong with each picture but they didn’t ask them, “What’s wrong with this picture?”, they just asked them to identify the picture. After they were done and the people could no longer see the picture, they asked them if they had noticed anything odd or wrong. …The Mona Lisa had a flying saucer in the corner. The main point is, if they didn’t notice what was wrong they could NEVER “remember”. Hypnosis didn’t work either… The information just never went into their brain or into their memory…

It’s like the TV is on with the sports news and you’re not paying attention… Maybe you’re doing something on the computer or just daydreaming but if you’re not listening… If somebody later asks you the score of the game you won’t know and you’ll never “remember”. If you weren’t paying attention at all you won’t have any idea who won. A similar thing will happen with subliminal messages… If you can’t hear it, it will never get into your brain.