Monitoring recording with TBProAudio mvMeter2 (VU meter)

Does anyone know how to monitor recording with TBProAudio mvMeter2 (VU meter)?

I can make this nice (free-download) VU meter plug-in work when using playback in Audacity - but I can’t figure out how to make it work while I record.

Also does anyone know how to resize it - it’s a bit big?
VU meters.png
See: https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/mvmeter2

Thanks,
Peter.

but I can’t figure out how to make it work while I record.

Does Audacity support plugins whilst recording?
I don’t think so.

Also does anyone know how to resize it - it’s a bit big?

Never been able to resize any plugin on Audacity.

EDIT:

I see you are on Win 10.
Also, be aware of the other problem I wrote about here:

I suspect it will affect that plugin as well, so the readings you get whilst playing, will be too high.

Perhaps it’s better to create a “virtual cable”, then monitor that with a stand alone level meter (.exe and not .dll).
Audacity can then be used to record form the “virtual cable”.

Here is one possibility:

Another possibility:

Right click on Audacity’s recording level meter and then click on settings and use
the following setting:
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.50.33 PM.png
You will then get this:
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.58.46 PM.png
The light red can then be used as a RMS indication and the dark red as peak.

Same applies to the playback level meter, but it’s green.
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.51.26 PM.png
This has served me well and no need for external plugins or “virtual cables”.

Ahhhh - that’s a very good point :sunglasses:

The online videos I’ve seen of this plug-in have a size percentage in the top left corner of the meters - I don’t see that on the version I downloaded today

I think you are probably right - working with one of my QA test-piece songs the VU maters show the audio to be too hot - but Audacity’s meters (and my ears) tell me that this is not the case.

Thanks,
Peter.

Peter,

The second option I wrote about then, may be your best bet.

As to resizing plugins, I think it has something to do with how they are written, the GUI.
Not all have this feature and also, Audacity does not really cope well with it.
Hope it helps.

Paul.

Hi Paul - yes I know about the RMS meters in Audaciyty.

I don’t really need this for monitoring - most of my recording days are over - I converted my LPs, singles and tapes a dozen or so years ago (and then had to do my wife’s).

It’s just that I’ve always had a hankering for a VU meter in Audacity to replace the existing meter toolbars (like the meters I had on my original tape deck - many many years ago).

Your comments have been interesting.

Peter.

VU meters are nice, have to agree.

What you may want to try is, work out exactly how much the error is between Audacity and your audio card/interface.
If you always use the same output, then it should be pretty constant, you may be able to use a pure tone for this.

Then, I see on that plugin, there is a control at the bottom center of the needles.
I assume it’s some kind of calibration.

You can then compensate for Audacity’s error on these.
May be worth a try.
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 6.12.42 PM.png

Hi Paul that little rotating knob (according to their manual) is the “Pre-Gain” control

Pre-Gain: > depending on the Channel Selector it controls the volume of the channel, click with
right mouse button for numerical input. Double click resets value.

I think what I might do is submit an ENH feature request on Audacity’s GitHub for VU meters …

Peter.

I think what I might do is submit an ENH feature request on Audacity’s GitHub for VU meters …

Great idea and perhaps for them to look at the level problem as well.

Hey folks, I’m using Audacity 3.1.3 on a Windows 10 machine. I’m trying to use this mvMeter2 plugin, but can’t seem to figure out how to display it. I’ve installed the plugin, and see that it’s enabled when I click the “manage plug-ins” menu option. I’ve spent about 30 minutes now trying to actually show the plugin. I’ve searched this forum, too, hoping not not to have to get everyone here involved – but no dice. If any of you can tell me how to do it, I’d really appreciate it. Thank you!!

So I downloaded the no GPU version and installed it. I then ran Tools > Add/Remove Plug-ins, Enable, OK. Then selected some stereo audio; Effects > mvMeternogpu (at the very, very end of the Effects list - scroll down!). Then I pressed the little green play button near the lower left-hand corner of the mMeter screen. Note that (PreGain) calibration seems to be required.

Peter may have some additional insight.

'fraid not - it was a year ago I was playing with this and eventually abandoned the effort as I could never make the VU meters work when recording.

I don’t have the plugin anymore either as I removed most of my plugins (mainly installed for QA testing) when Muse decided to auto-enable every darrn plugin Audacity can find on my PC …

Peter.