"Couldn't find the project data file"

Hi All,

Audacity 3.0.02 (I did just update the version, but might have already had it).

I’ve lost my edits twice now. Basically, I save the file, exit audacity, and then there’s no “_data” folder.

When I try to open the edit, it says: “Couldn’t find the project data file” and then list specific file name.

I’ve used Audacity for a few years, and this is the first time this has happened. Also, I’ve been able to save and edit other audacity files.

There is one difference I can think of with this particular file; that is, I duplicated the file and then spliced other recordings into the duplicate (i.e., new file).

Thanks,

Bryden

one difference I can think of

The “Classic,” “Legacy” Audacity would not allow you to edit or change a Project outside of Audacity. So the Project you edited is probably trash.

You can’t change the name of a Project, either.

Open up the Project AUP file in a text editor and read it (don’t save anything). Somewhere between two and four text lines down, there is an entry with the original project name. Both the AUP and the _DATA folder have to have this name.

Now it gets magic. I thought Audacity 3.0.0 used the new Project format that uses one AUP3 file and no _DATA folder.

???

Koz

Somehow, I think you’re crossing the older AUP Project format and the AUP3 format. I don’t think the AUP3 file will ever complain about not being able to find its _DATA folder because it doesn’t use one.

Audacity 3.0.0 will not make an AUP file, but it should open all Project formats, including the older one.

Koz

Yes, as Koz indicated, there Audacity 3.0.2 does NOT write to any _data folder. Audacity saves everything to a single .aup3 file.

So if you open abc.aup in 3.0.2, edit it, then save it (to abc.aup3), when you re-open abc.aup you will be back to your original file. You need to open abc.aup3 to see your edit.

Thanks! I was working with an old version of Audacity. I updated the program and it appears to be working as intended!

Many thanks,

Mike