Know the amplitude (volume) of a file.

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Marcos
Operating System: Windows 10

Know the amplitude (volume) of a file.

Post by Marcos » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Hello everyone!

I would like to know if there is any way to know or measure the exact amplitude (volume) of a file? Reason why I intend to leave all my video-lessons with the same volume.

Thank you very much!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Know the amplitude (volume) of a file.

Post by steve » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:24 pm

1. Select the audio that you want to measure (it could be the entire track, or just part of a track)
2. Open the "Amplify" effect.
3. Observe the default "Amplification (dB)" setting.
By default, the Amplify effect offers to amplify up to 0 dB, so the "Amplification (dB)" setting shows the number of dB required to make the selection up to 0 dB. Put another way, it shows the number of dB below full track height.
4. Click the "Cancel" button to close the Amplify effect.

Example: If the peak amplitude of the selected audio is -20 dB, then the Amplify effect will offer to amplify by +20 dB. Thus, if the default "Amplification (dB)" says "20", then we know that the peak amplitude of the selection is -20 dB.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Marcos
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Marcos » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:37 pm

Hi Steve!

First I ask you to please consider my faults regarding the duplicity of the topic, it was my distraction.

Regarding your example, get this straight: If the peak amplitude of the selected audio is at -20dB, the Amplify effect will offer and present +20dB amplification. In this example, can we conclude that the audio (-20) is too low and needs to be applied (+20) to be normalized to the 0 (zero) standard?

Not to open another topic, on one occasion I met a puglin that makes the audio uniform (single volume) mainly the voice. Could you let me know what this puglin would be so I can download it?

Thank you very much friend!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Marcos wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:37 pm
Not to open another topic, on one occasion I met a puglin that makes the audio uniform (single volume) mainly the voice.
Do you mean that it made loud voices quieter and quiet voices louder?
If so, that may have been the Nyquist plug-in: "Level Speech" which you can get here: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqu ... vel_Speech
Instructions for installing Nyquist plug-ins: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ins ... st_install
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)