Can I use Audacity for doing voice-overs for existing videos

Hello,

I am a new member, and a pensioner with a relatively low level of computer competence.

The title of my question pretty is pretty much what I want to know, can I use Audacity for doing voice-overs for existing videos as I would like to add voice-overs to some of my videos.

I did have a look at the FAQS in the manual but couldn’t see anything that matched my question.

If anyone can answer my question I will be very grateful.

Audacity can record your audio but you’ll need a video editor to combine the audio & video together.

And, there is a possibility you could get “glitches” if you are playing video while recording on the same computer. Audacity works best when you can minimize multitasking while recording.

couldn’t see anything that matched my question.

Probably because Audacity is not a video editor. You can announce your voice-over material into Audacity while you’re watching or listening to the original video with headphones on a player. But then you would File > Export your Audacity voice into its own sound file and then match it up with the original in your video editor.

It can get worse depending on your goal. Video editors can produce videos with two or more individual sound tracks. That’s how you get English/Spanish/Russian movie DVDs.

Or you can get the video editor to mix a “Real Voice Over” where your new voice is in the foreground and your original voice runs quietly in the background. Or you can do commentary where you reduce the original volume only when you speak.

None of these jobs is a simple button push and the complexity depends on how you want the show to come out.

Koz