Can i repair a recording after BSOD

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Shifter2015
Operating System: Windows 10

Can i repair a recording after BSOD

Post by Shifter2015 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:45 pm

Hello! I am using audacity 3.0.2 and windows 10.
My computer frequently gets the Blue Screen of Death and i would like to know, that if it crashes in the middle of a recording can i recover the recording?
Thank you in advance.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Can i repair a recording after BSOD

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm

Please don't double post. Your submission has to be read by an elf before it becomes visible.

A Windows machine that blue screens repeatedly should not be used for audio production.

The only piece of the show still working would be the last time you saved a Backup Project in Audacity 3.0.2. Depending on what's wrong with the machine, maybe not even that.

Koz

Shifter2015
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Shifter2015 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Thank you! Sorry for the double post i didn't state the version of windows and audacity in the first one, that's why i made another one.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Shifter2015 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:45 pm
the Blue Screen of Death
Most likely a problem with one or more device driver. Not much else can trigger a BSOD these days.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Memory, drive issues, interconnection problems.

Did you write down all the information in those screens? They're trying to tell you what's wrong.

Windows used to have a method of starting "Clean" without all the other drivers and software add-ons. That lets you check the machine without software interference. Do they still do that?

~~

Yes. Windows Safe Mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e5e56fe234

Koz

Paul L
Operating System: Please select

Post by Paul L » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:55 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm
Please don't double post. Your submission has to be read by an elf before it becomes visible.

A Windows machine that blue screens repeatedly should not be used for audio production.

The only piece of the show still working would be the last time you saved a Backup Project in Audacity 3.0.2. Depending on what's wrong with the machine, maybe not even that.

Koz
I would expect autosave during recording would work every few seconds and give you a chance to recover most of the recording at the next startup.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 pm

I would expect autosave during recording would work every few seconds and give you a chance to recover most of the recording at the next startup.
Cool. What would the recovery look like? I'm not on Windows and we don't know what cause the BSODs.

Koz