Audacity freezing every time I click/tab off it or it generates a new window.

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Pikawho
Operating System: Windows 10

Audacity freezing every time I click/tab off it or it generates a new window.

Post by Pikawho » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:03 pm

Audacity version: 3.0.2

What I'm trying to do: I'm trying to use audacity to record voiceover.

Generate Support Data: I can't because Audacity freezes every time I try to do so.

I've been using Audacity 2.4.2 for awhile, but sometimes it would stop recording randomly with an error message saying it was taking up too many resources. I finally got fed up with that and checked to see if updating it would help. Now I can't do anything with Audacity at all because it completely freezes up whenever I alt tab or click off the audacity window.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity freezing every time I click/tab off it or it generates a new window.

Post by steve » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:33 pm

Do you use Japanese Windows, or a Japanese keyboard (or other non-Latin character set)?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Pikawho

Re: Audacity freezing every time I click/tab off it or it generates a new window.

Post by Pikawho » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 am

steve wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:33 pm
Do you use Japanese Windows, or a Japanese keyboard (or other non-Latin character set)?
I do, actually. I have some VNs downloaded that need my system location and keyboard to be in Japanese. Is that what's causing the issue?

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 am

Pikawho wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 am
Is that what's causing the issue?
Not directly. The problem is caused by a bug in a recent Windows update affecting the IME (Input Method Editor). There's some information about it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... a68e328692

Microsoft claim to have fixed the issue, but I don't know if that means that it will be automatically fixed by fully updating Windows, or whether it is necessary to roll-back the bad update first, or manually apply the fixes mentioned in that article.

Do you know when the problem started?
Are you able to correlate that with a specific Windows update?

Pikawho

Post by Pikawho » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 am

Well, like I said, I had been using 2.4.2 until today. I was recording and it got cut off by a message saying it was taking up too much system resources, which prompted me to update to 3.0.2.

Pikawho

Post by Pikawho » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 am

I shifted my keyboard from Japanese to English and the problem seems to be resolved.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:42 am

Pikawho wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 am
I shifted my keyboard from Japanese to English and the problem seems to be resolved.
Super. Thanks for the update.