Unable to open AUP File Between PCs

Hello,
I am traveling and away from my home PC and have uploaded some AUP3 files to a Google Drive to continue work while away from home. Unfortunately, I am unable to open the files. I know that I should have exported them just in case, but since I can’t do that at this point, I was wondering if there is any work-around or fix for this.

I get the following error message when going to File>Open and selecting the aup files:

Project is in a read only directory
(Unable to create the required temporary files)

Here is the Error Log information:

ErrorCode: 14
	LastError: Failed to set safe mode on primary connection to C:\Users\Carly\Documents\Audacity\abstract final cut.aup3
	LibraryError: unable to open database file
14:23:52: sqlite3 message: (21) API call with NULL database connection pointer
14:23:52: sqlite3 message: (21) misuse at line 123174 of [7ebdfa80be]
14:23:52: DBConnection SetError
	ErrorCode: 0
	LastError: Project is in a read only directory

Some other information that may be helpful:
Both machines run Windows 10.
I have updated the version of Audacity on this PC to the lastest version by completely uninstalling and reinstalling 3.0.2.
I am using File>Open to try to access the files, not “Import”.
I have tried running the program as administrator. I see the same errors.

If anyone has any ideas on what I could try to fix this problem, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Did you try to download the works to your local drive and then open them? Audacity doesn’t always get along very well with network or cloud drives.

Koz

Yes, the files were downloaded and relocated to the Audacity subfolder in the Documents folder.

I have also tried relocating them to a different directory and opening them from there. I get the same errors regardless.

ToneTest.aup3.zip (16.4 KB)
Can you open that? I had trouble managing the plain aup3 file, so I zipped it. Pull it down, unzip it and it should open and play. It’s 5 seconds of 400Hz tone.

Koz

Yes- no problems there.
Not sure why my aup3 files won’t open.

When you are able to, find the “checksum” of the file that won’t open and compare it to the checksum of the file that does open.
A “checksum” allows you to see if a copy of a file is exactly the same as the original. (See: Redirecting to: https://www.audacityteam.org/FAQ#is-audacity-safe-to-download). I expect that you will find that either:

1. The checksums are different, indicating that the copy is a bad copy
    or
  2. Your “assumed to be good” original has the same problem.

A very unlikely possibility: Is the hdd in that machine formatted as FAT-32?

Windows uses NTFS by default, though there is an unlikely possibility that it could be formatted as FAT32 (more likely if it is a very old drive, or a computer that uses a flash card for storage rather than a hdd or ssd).

Hello,
I am unable to make the checksum comparison as I can’t access my home PC. However, the formatting is not the issue.
As of this morning, I am unable to open the Tone Test file. I am getting the same error.

Are you using Audacity 3.0.0?
(Look in “Help menu > About Audacity”)

I installed the latest version of Audacity, 3.0.2.

The forum should now be able to handle AUP3 files, provided they are small enough.

Try extracting it again from the ZIP that Koz uploaded. Does a fresh copy of the Tone Test project work?

Steve-
I tried opening it again with the same error, so I deleted and redownloaded (and extracted) the file once again.
Same error.
Here is a copy of the error log:

ErrorCode: 14
	LastError: Failed to set safe mode on primary connection to C:\Users\Carly\Downloads\ToneTest.aup3\ToneTest.aup3
15:23:20: sqlite3 message: (21) API call with NULL database connection pointer
15:23:20: sqlite3 message: (21) misuse at line 123174 of [7ebdfa80be]
15:23:20: DBConnection SetError
	ErrorCode: 0
	LastError: Project is in a read only directory

“Project is in a read only directory”

“C:\Users\Carly\Downloads\ToneTest.aup3\ToneTest.aup3”
What !? :open_mouth:
Why is “ToneTest.aup3” inside "C:\Users\Carly\Downloads[u]ToneTest.aup3[/u]"
How did you do that? :confused:

Ah … let me guess… this is a weird “Windows” thing where Windows makes it look like a ZIP file is extracted when it is really still inside the ZIP archive.

Perhaps someone more familiar with Windows can provide clear instructions for how to extract a ZIP archive on Windows.

Perhaps this will help: How to zip (and unzip) files using Windows 10 | Windows Central
Scroll down the page to where it says: “Use the Extract All wizard”

Steve-
The file was simply extracted to a folder of the same name. I am extracting it appropriately.

I can make this worse. The reason I zipped it was because the system would not let me post the plain, ordinary aup3 file.

I know we’re all going to have a good laugh about this when we figure out what’s wrong.

Koz

OK, I understand.

The problem seems to be: “Project is in a read only directory”

Try copying the extracted “ToneTest.aup3” file directly to your “Documents” folder. Can you open it from there?