Opinion, please?

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Opinion, please?

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:27 pm

H2.

Ummmmm.

What would I do if someone said I had to conduct an interview with an H2?

With reference to the postings way up this forum message, you should be able to set the date and time before you trusted it with anything valuable. We know from the manual and my own H1n that the date and time correction cycles through all the values, year included. It's massively important you get that to work because nobody gets shot slates to work right reliably ("It's Tuesday the fifteenth and we're in Sacramento about to interview the governor.")

Failing that, you look at your plane ticket to get the date and keep digging through the H2 files until you find one with matching date.

Also, as I said up there somewhere, an inability to correctly set Date and Time could indicate a failing recorder.

And should it fail, your emergency backup is the voice recorder on your phone. Make sure you know how to use that and how to transfer files between that and Audacity.

Watch any newscast and there will be a phalanx of news reporters trying to get a quote on their phone. That does work.

Meanwhile, back at the H2. I need to beat up the manual for a while. This is not an easy call.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:52 pm

There are a couple of "becoming familiar with your recorder" exercises. I assume you have the instruction manual.

-- Know what it looks like when the batteries are going flat. If you have an interview with the governor, put fresh ones in. I have a trick with that. When you take the old batteries out, throw them on the floor. You can pick them up later. There's just nothing quite like having your recorder go flat during an important recording because you got the batteries mixed up.

-- For a field recording, activate the Low Cut Filter (pp38). No, you won't be able to record the low tones on a pipe organ, but you won't be getting as much wind noise, blast, pops, or rumble, either.

-- Zoom does not recommend hand-holding the H2 because of handling and scratching noises. If you have to, use the special mount and a glove (pp19).

-- Also on page 19 is the microphone setup for solo vocals. I'm not completely sure what the diagram is trying to get across there, but that's what they say. Try it once on your mum and see how it comes out. Do Not make the governor interview be the first time you try any of this.

Desperation Method is record on your phone. Know where the microphones are. My iPhone SE has two, one on the back for video shoots and one on the bottom for telephone voice and memos. Do not, for example, aim the top of the phone at the guest for a straight voice shoot. That points the microphone to you.

Consult your instructions.

Being professionally obsessive, I would figure out a way to record the governor on both the H2 and my phone.

Koz

fredericamg
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by fredericamg » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:40 am

Actually these are interviews people are doing with me, as an author/speaker. Usually they're done over Zoom, and I'm sitting at my desk. Most recently:

https://thesymbolicworld.com/videos/how ... wes-green/

I can see my interviewer is using a desk mic and an earphone. I wasn't doing either, just using the Logi 920 webcam and the Dell sound bar! and I sound awful! I gotta get with the program!

That's when I set up the two mics, looking for yall's opinion so I can make it as good as it can be.

I do have the problem that the heat-air is the blowing air kind (I miss my radiators). Additionally, in this house, the attic fan right overhead. I haven't been able to find a thermostat setting that will turn the system off, just like that; as best I can tell, I would have to temporarily set a temp range above or below what would trigger it. Kinda dumb. There should be an Off switch.

Now that I've unchecked Audio Enhancements in Recording, I'll make two more short recordings tonight when things cool off (wav not mp3).

fredericamg
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by fredericamg » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:32 am

Boy, I only had to have the H2 batteries fail once when I was interviewing someone. It's a hard lesson.
I also found that the batteries ran down very fast if I left them in the H2. So I kept it empty, and carried 4 batteries, with two marked as "in use" and two brand new.

Here are a couple more 11 second recordings, wav. Let me know what you think of them, please, and how I can improve 'em.

I was hoping to use the H2 for desk interviews because it sits so low, and I'm not likely to hit it with hand gestures. I would be knocking over the C-1U, I think.

But I had trouble with the H2 picking up enough volume, even with the mic set to High gain.
So I went into Manage Audio Devices and set mic gain to 100% for both mics. But then, recording in Audacity with the program's gain set to 0, it didn't pick up my voice at all.

When I raised the Audacity program gain to 60%, that seemed to be the best volume, and that is what I'm attaching here.

But that will be no help to me during a desk interview; I won't be using Audacity then. All I have is the gain on the H2 itself, and the Audio Device gain in Control Panel--but my voice is inaudible.

Ideas?

Also, any idea why Audacity won't recognize the H2 when i connect to the PC tower with a USB cable? It works for electricity/power (the H2 stays on, without batteries or electric cord). But it doesn't show up as an option in Audacity. That's why I've got this Plextone in the middle (using an Aux cable).
Attachments
C-1U wav.wav
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
H2 wav.wav
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am

Piece o' cake. You should be listening to the host on headphones/earphones/earbuds. Most of that hollow distortion is Zoom et al trying to keep the host's voice our of your replies. Did you notice once there at the beginning, the host interrupted you briefly and your voice dipped in volume? If the host's voice is in your ear and not the room, that processing isn't needed.

It doesn't have to be big recording studio headphones, either (although that would work). See lower left.

Apple may no longer make those, but the idea. If you want to theater it up, snake the cable up your back and hide them in your hair.

I'm not fond of hands-free wireless earbuds for critical work. Too many things to go wrong.

It looks like you have a crowded enough studio not to worry about echos and "bathroom" sound. Books deaden echoes well. The worst possible room is polished wood floor and bare white walls. The stupid joke is clap once loudly and when you get back from lunch, the clap is still bouncing between the walls. I had an office like that.

From there, it's down to getting a nice microphone. I think either of yours should work.

I think we crossed messages. I think I'm answering the wrong one....

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:51 am

But it doesn't show up as an option in Audacity.
These units have two "modes." In one mode, the USB cable lets your computer access the memory card. In the other, the recorder turns into a microphone. I have no idea how the H2 does it, but that's very common and it sounds like you have the wrong mode.

As we go.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:58 am

Of those two sound samples, I think the H2 would have come off well in that interview.

Zoom sets its own volumes for transmission, so all you have to worry about is keeping a quiet, echo-free studio and wear headphones.

Let me know if you can't find that USB management thing. I'm almost 100% sure it's in there somewhere.

There was something in the archives about that battery life business. Looking.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:08 am

One common error. Plug the H2 in and let it settle. Only then start Audacity.

If you still have trouble, make sure Windows Sound Control Panel can see the H2 and the little Windows volume icon can bounce when you speak.

The H2 can throw serious mud in the game if it tries to be a "Surround" microphone instead of plain stereo or mono. Neither Windows nor Audacity may not know what to do with that.

As we go.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:14 am

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 8.10.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 8.10.46 PM.png (40.19 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

I think that's all it says.

I know you can get stuck if the recorder is in Stereo and Audacity is in Mono, or vice-versa. Another place to look.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 am

but my voice is inaudible.
You may have chosen the wrong microphone(s). This is where the instruction book goes for pages and it's not always that clear.

I think you want stereo from the front.

That's what this is.

That's the H2 sitting on its back in stereo. She's on my right and he's on my left. Perfect for an interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVec_RPwuc

Koz