Replicating voice effect-

I’m writing a “serious” video game to study associative learning. My forte’ is in graphics, and I’ve very little experience with editing audio, though Audacity makes most of what I’ve needed to accomplish very easy. At the moment, however, I would like to take my voiceover guy’s recordings and make him sound close to the attached file, at least effect-wise. I can get the pitch matched ~fairly~ well, but I don’t know what else to do. In the attached recording, is there something else going on other than reverb? It seems as if something is “mechanicizing” the voice somewhat. If anyone would have any ideas as to what I should fiddle with(and what those settings might be to get me started close), apart from reverb I’d sure appreciate some guidance. As I’m just digging into audio effects, and not knowing what different settings on different effects are intended to do (though I am learning…) I’m just more or less randomly searching the parameter space and not getting anywhere very quickly.

DBlue crusher is a free plugin that works in Audacity on Windows
it can do stereotypical retro video game effects …

In your case for the croaky effect (without bit-crush) try these settings …

Jeroen Breebaart’s time-machine is a similar free plugin, (again windows only) …

That’s a full-strength time-machine example, you can adjust to taste, e.g. only slightly computery.

Thanks a million!