Audio file (MP3/Wave) on a pen drive.

Hello everyone!
I have some files on a pen drive in the formats indicated in the topic. However, they do not open in Audacity and present the message attachment. This is normal in Audacity or there would be a solution/configuration to not need to copy and paste the files on the computer itself.

Thank you very much!

Hug friends.
Áudio mensagem I.jpg

Which version of Audacity, and which operating system?

Good morning (in Brazil) Steve!

Thanks for the feedback.

I use Audacity version 3.0.2 and Windows 10.

Hug!

Topic moved to the Windows forum.

There’s currently a bug logged for Audacity 3.0.2 because it fails to import from FAT formatted drives (including FAT16, FAT32 and other versions).
It is intentional (necessary) that Audacity 3.x will refuse to open “projects” from FAT formatted drives, because the FAT format does not support secure database transactions (the FAT format is too old). Audacity “should” be able to import from FAT, but currently it can’t, and that’s a bug.

The workaround is to copy the MP3 / WAV files to the computer’s internal drive, and import the copy.

Hi Steve!

Yes, I understand your teaching perfectly. But we can consider this a very elementary problem and I say that I love Audacity. I’ll do what you suggested is copy the files into the computer.
Do you know if there’s a new update for Audacity?
Which plugin would be more conveneitne for mastering to “fat” the audio volume without saturating?

Thank you very much!

The current version is Audacity 3.0.2.

A new version (Audacity 3.0.3) is scheduled to be released in about a month, subject to satisfactory testing.
The new version will probably not fix this problem with FAT format drives, but it does fix some other important issues. Hopefully the ‘FAT’ format problem will be fixed in the Audacity version after that.

Sorry, I don’t understand the question.

Hi Steve!

I say that I’m looking for a plugin that does a final mastering job that is, that we can increase the audio volume without blowing out/saturating the sound ok.
Currently I only know the W1 Limiter plugin, but it seems that I don’t understand how it works.

Speech or music?
Does it sound good now? If not, what’s wrong with it?

Personally, I use Effects > Compressor.

Some at Audacity have a completely different approach. See: Audiobook Mastering

FWIW, I noticed that earlier this morning, the developers forwarded a fix for this issue to testing. It is not yet patched in the current 3.0.3 alpha, but it is likely to be.

I QA tested the fix for this bug this norning and it works fine on Windows - I will make a Mac test in a week or so when I get back to my Macbook.

See: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2800
Bug 2800 - Audio and MIDI files cannot be opened from FAT/FAT32 drives

Peter