Dropout error message

I am a new user. I’m using Audicity 3.0.2 on a desktop running Windows 10.

I am trying to record from an old vinyl recording in good condition. I have a cable running from the headphone jack on the turntable to the blue input jack on the back of the CPU tower. I get an error message telling me that the audio was lost, and that it’s probably due to other processes competing for CPU processing time. Is there any way to tell which processes are causing the dropouts so I can turn them off? I don’t want to turn off random processes or turn off everything.

The turntable does have a USB port; I’ve tried to record to a thumb drive, but ran into other issues. Would it make a difference if I ran a cable from the USB port on the turntable to the USB port on the front of the CPU?

If it makes a difference, the turntable I’m using is a Rock ‘N’ Rolla Junior on loan from a friend.

There are some suggestions [u]here[/u].

Is there any way to tell which processes are causing the dropouts so I can turn them off? I don’t want to turn off random processes or turn off everything.

[u]LatencyMon[/u] (I might have “played with” this program once but I can’t help you with it.)

There is also a free online book about optimizing your computer for audio called [u]Glitch Free[/u].

Would it make a difference if I ran a cable from the USB port on the turntable to the USB port on the front of the CPU?

Most USB turntables work that way but I don’t think yours does.