Editing stored names of artists, year, genre, etc.

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Normandy
Operating System: Windows 10

Editing stored names of artists, year, genre, etc.

Post by Normandy » Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Audacity 3.0.2
Windows 10

Hi all, I'm brand new to this but really enjoying Audacity. I'm sure I'll have other questions and look forward to browsing the forum. Right now I'd like to know how to edit the info about the artists, year, etc. that I entered when I exported a file to my computer. I've looked through the manual but can't quite find it.

Many thanks!

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Re: Editing stored names of artists, year, genre, etc.

Post by DVDdoug » Wed May 12, 2021 11:37 pm

I use MP3Tag. It works with most formats, not just MP3. Or there are other "metadata" or "tagging" applications. MP3Tag supports album artwork (audacity does not). And, you canselect a whole folder or several files at once to edit the common information all at once.

You can do it in Audacity but Audacity has to re-export the whole file. So if you have an MP3 (or other lossy format) you're going through another generation of unnecessary lossy compression.

If you want to sort by the various fields your audio player software can do that.

Normandy

Re: Editing stored names of artists, year, genre, etc.

Post by Normandy » Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Doug, thanks a million for your quick and knowledgeable reply. That software does the trick!

N