Mastering

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Mastering

Post by kozikowski » Tue May 11, 2021 4:43 pm

When you apply RMS Normalize, what does your control panel look like? You can use the Snipping Tool in Windows to capture a small part of the screen. Post the picture file from any forum text window > Attachments > Add Files.

There were two RMS Normalizes.

viewtopic.php?p=325078#p325078

The second, New and Improved one is recommended.

Koz

TJB
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by TJB » Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 pm

Koz, I haven't forgotten your request for a look at my control panel. It took some time for me to figure out how to do that and when I did, it sent it to my clipboard .... which then became another step in my education process. Once I learned how to actually get to my clipboard, I still haven't figured out how to attach to my message.

There is possible light at the end of the tunnel as my daughter will be over this evening for my wife's birthday dinner and will help me solve that issue.

What's maddening is that everything seems fine until I hit RMS Normalize. That takes the selection to -20 db like it's supposed to but thickens the base line making it impossible to pass the ACX check because noise level is not right. THEN, to do the noise reduction process, I don't have a clean base line to go to. If I screw around with the hum removal, I can sometimes get the base line a little slimmer but no way to get a clean base line to use for noise. I even hit hum removal 7 times to thin the base line out quite a bit and tried to grab a small sliver of clean base line. I used this sliver to get a Noise Reduction Profile and when I applied that, then the RMS failed as did the Peak values.

Maybe once I'm able to send the screen shot to you of the control panel (wave length?) you'll be able to see what I mean.

Is there a simple way to tell if the Blue Yeti itself might be the problem????

TJB

Post by TJB » Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Also you suggested that perhaps my RMS Normalize app might be the older version. I 'think' it's the current version but how can I tell?

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Post by DVDdoug » Wed May 12, 2021 9:30 pm

If you open the .NY file in notepad you'll see a comment with the version. I believe the latest is version 4.

But... I thought the current recommendation is to us Loudness Normalization with the RMS option.... Loudness Normalization is a built-in effect and it doesn't have it's own version number.
and when I applied that, then the RMS failed as did the Peak values.
If noise reduction changed things that much did it also destroy the sound quality?

TJB

Post by TJB » Thu May 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Doug, in answer to your last question, the answer is 'yes' ... made me sound like I'm in the bottom of a barrel

TJB

Post by TJB » Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Koz, I'm going to try to attach two snips of a short test recording.

The first one is the raw recording, un-mastered:
Audacity Test 1.png
Audacity Test 1.png (151.24 KiB) Viewed 83 times
The second one is the same clip just after I hit RMS Normalize. Note the base line in Test 1 and then the base line in Test 2.
Audacity Test 2.png
Audacity Test 2.png (26.07 KiB) Viewed 83 times
. When I did the ACX check on this clip, it shows Peak exceeds -3db and noise exceeds -60db

If I attempt to flatten the base line by repeatedly hitting hum removal (6x) in order to get a clean sliver to use as my Noise Reduction Profile and then hit ACX check, RMS and Noise are now OK but the Peak is still off -3db.

WTF ?????

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu May 13, 2021 6:53 pm

Can you see the ??? floating over our heads?

You have a confetti explosion of contradictory symptoms.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.51.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.51.45 AM.png (194.81 KiB) Viewed 81 times

I need to make stronger tea and go back over those posts.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu May 13, 2021 7:32 pm

I see we didn't establish something important early on. Which Audacity version are you using? In Windows, I think it's Help > About menu.

The new loudness tool is Loudness Normalization and you said RMS Normalize. There's several Audacity versions between those two.

The illustrations you posted show an edited timeline with the edits still marked. You can get into trouble with that. Is your microphone still set up? Make sure all your work is saved. Clean shutdown Windows: Shift+Shutdown > Wait > Start. This may take some time if you havent done it in a while. Start Audacity, select your microphone if it's not already there and announce this voice test. It's ten seconds.

https://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Tes ... _Clip.html

This is a raw voice test. Do Not Do Anything To It. Just export a WAV and post it. There's instructions in the page.

Koz

TJB

Post by TJB » Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Koz ... i'm using version 3.0.2

Now I'm uploading (hopefully) the voice test
Voice Test.wav
(866.04 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

TJB

Post by TJB » Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Koz, evidently the first one didn't go thru so here we'll try again with the Voice Test
Voice Test.wav
(866.04 KiB) Downloaded 2 times