Help with Filter Graphic Curve

This is my first time using Filter Curve. I am trying to create equalization for some music files that I have. Most of my music files are of the Jazz genre. I am have looked at these curves, read as much information that’s out here, but they still look like a foreign language to me. The information that I have mostly seen are related to voices. I haven’t found anything related to music. Is there anyone that can help me with the understanding of what all these frequencies and dbs’ mean? And I know that it can be based on how you like to listen to your music, but if I don’t know how to connect the dots, it’s still bewildering to me!

Thanks!

Help with Filter Graphic Curve

Audacity has two EQ (“Equalization”) effects.

Filter Curve EQ is the more complicated. It’s very powerful, but over the top for a lot of tasks.

Graphic EQ is much simpler to use. It works like a normal hi-fi Graphic Eq. Low frequencies are on the left, high frequencies on the right. Slider up to increase the level of a frequency band, slider down to reduce the level of that frequency band.

I’d suggest that you try using the Graphic EQ effect rather than the Filter Curve EQ. Both effects use the same filter engine under the hood, it’s just the interface that’s different.
More details about Graphic EQ here: Graphic EQ - Audacity Manual

If you must have curves, reaEQ (standalone) is a free real-time equalizer plugin that works in Audacity on Windows …

reaEQ.gif
TDR Nova is similar (and free) but is more complicated.