Audacity Basic Questions, Monetized YouTube Videos.

Is Audacity safe free software that can be used commercially? For example to make music in monetized YouTube videos.

AND

Will the creators of Audacity need anything? For example payments and/or permissions.

Processing copyrighted music in Audacity, (or similar software), does not remove the copyright from it.

For monetized YouTubes, either the music has to be all your own work,
or you have been given / bought the a license to use the music in a commercial project.

YouTube’s own audio library is the safest source of music for YouTube, (cannot be used outwith YouTube).

Other sources of free music are available, e.g. … http://dig.ccmixter.org/free, (use at your own risk).

Will the creators of Audacity need anything? For example payments and/or permissions.

No. That’s true with every audio & video editor I know of… There are no restrictions on what you can do with the tools.

Of course Audacity is audio-only so if there’s video you’ll need a video editor. Most video editors can do some audio editing so you may not need Audacity at all. And if you do edit audio the audio & video separately, of course you have to take-care to keep everything in-sync.

either the music has to be all your own work,

And just be clear, the “notes & music” (as well as the recording) are copyrighted. You can’t distribute/publish yourself singing White Christmas without permission.

Yes. See: Is Audacity really free? Why?

No. See the answer to your first question.

So just to be clear:
Basically, if I create a song 100% my own including writing lyrics, making the music for it, singing it, and use Audacity to do this, I owe Audacity nothing?

Yes, that is correct. The Audacity software that you download today from Audacity ® | Downloads is 100% free. Even better, there is no spyware or advertising included. So how can it exist? It has been able to survive on donations of money and time from volunteers.

Note there are restrictions and licenses involved in reusing the source code, but they mostly revolve around protecting the open and free nature of Audacity.

Also, see this notice: Audacity & MuseScore Announcement!

Also note: Please do not construe this opinion as legal advice. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer.

Thank you.

Basically, if I create a song 100% my own including writing lyrics, making the music for it, singing it, and use Audacity to do this, I owe Audacity nothing?

BTW - You AUTOMATICALLY own the copyrights to your creations (at least here in the U.S.) so nobody can (legally) distribute or publish your song without your permission. If Lady Gaga wants to record your song she has to pay you royalties! :smiley: …But it’s not easy to prove or enforce your copyright if it’s not registered and/or if you don’t have lawyers, etc.

Or, you can give-away some or all of your rights if you release your work as “creative commons”.

You could give Audacity a “thank you” in your cover notes if you want, but that’s entirely optional.